Cover Letter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hadhafang

I am in the process of sending my resume out to several 135 operators in Alaska, and I have a question about cover letters. Is it a no brainer that you should always send a cover letter with your resume, or do some places only want to see a resume? Also, if the operator has not specified, either online or in some other form, whether they prefer to receive resumes by mail, fax, or email, is it OK to send it via any of those methods? Anybody's experience and advise on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

I always send a cover letter. Since you have to cover so much area with the resume, the cover letter allows me to add material and highlight special areas that the resume doesn't cover. The cover letter is invitation to the reader to read the resume. The better the invitation or the tease the more likely the resume will be read.

Just getting back into this game after 19 years in the Navy, but did once before straight out of college (worked in the semiconductor industry for a few years before USN) and the rules haven't changed that much.

ALWAYS send a cover letter with the resume. If they give you and option, my money is on hard copy, back them up later with email or FAX. Send them on the best paper you can afford and make sure they are mailed flat. If you know a specific name to address the letter to, then that is all the better.

Best of luck,
VVJM265

When is doubt send a cover letter. It personalizes the resume, and gives you a first chance to suck up to the company. I have also personally given cover letter and resume to employers (regionals) and watched them basically throw my cover letter to the side just to look at the resume. Your hours and type of hours are the ONLY thing that truely counts in this industry. I have found that airlines are pretty straight forward on what they want (which is basically a warm body to fill the right seat with 1000 tt). Corporate and fractional gigs want to know you as person before the invite is given for an interview, so the cover letter is much more sought after and necessary.

Look at it this way: how can it hurt? To us, a cover letter is an introduction to the resume that follows, and it's an opportunity for the job seeker to add a little personality to the process.

Always include a cover letter - it's an additional opportunity to make yourself look good.

Latest resources

Back