Couple basic questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CapnVegetto said:
There is a Vmc air, it's 4 knots above Vmcg in the Citation, but it is below stall, so we don't care. I'd have to look up the actual numbers, but like I said, we don't care. :) Every speed you really need to know is marked somewhere in the cockpit.

For an explanation of V1, it's a jet thing. It's the speed at which it is officially safer to continue a takeoff after an emergency rather than abort the takeoff, and it varies with weight, airport elevation, temp, etc. I've never heard of anyone climbing at Vsse in ANYTHING....you always climb at Vyse. In jets, you climb at V2, which is basically the same thing as Vyse in light twins, except once again, it varies a lot with altitude, temp, pressure, weight, etc. Before you go fly, you figure out V1, Vr, V2, Venr and return Vref whenever you fly a jet. You can't just mark a 'blue line' or something on the a/s indicator because when your speeds are higher and you're engines are stronger, the speeds vary much more greatly, and they need to be figured on a leg by leg basis.

I'm afraid you misspoke a little there. V1 is not a "JET thing", piston transport category airplanes all have a V1 (and a V2). What is a "jet thing", or more precicesly a "turbine power thing", is "Vr". There is no Vr for piston powered transports, they do not have the excess power available to rotate below V2 and accelerate to V2 by 35ft as the turbines can after an engine failure at V1.

~DC

Biggest turboprop I've ever flown is a Kingair, I didn't know that. I was never taught a V1 in anything but a jet, but then again, there are a LOT of turboprobs I've never flown.

Learned something new.

CapnVegetto said:
Biggest turboprop I've ever flown is a Kingair, I didn't know that. I was never taught a V1 in anything but a jet, but then again, there are a LOT of turboprobs I've never flown.

Learned something new.

Ah, yes, I see now you have no Transport Category Piston or Turbo-Propeller time.
Since the small jets are certified as "T" category I can see where you got the thought from.

Regards,

~DC

There is no Vr for piston powered transports, they do not have the excess power available to rotate below V2 and accelerate to V2 by 35ft as the turbines can after an engine failure at V1.

Ah, yes, I see now you have no Transport Category Piston or Turbo-Propeller time.

Well he may not, but I surely do, and absolutely Vr is a published number for most piston transport category airplanes. That goes back to the second world war.

Don't have the power to rotate below V2? Many older piston transport category airplanes don't even utilize a V2, and rotation speed is generally less than V2 where it's published, anyway. Some of the older airlanes utilized various climb speeds, but not necessarily a V2, especially aircraft type certificaed before Part 25 came into being in it's present state.

I'm afraid you misspoke a little there. V1 is not a "JET thing", piston transport category airplanes all have a V1 (and a V2).

Older large piston transports don't have a V1 or a V2.

In jets, you climb at V2, which is basically the same thing as Vyse in light twins, except once again, it varies a lot with altitude, temp, pressure, weight, etc.
V2 is more analogous to Vxse in Part23Land, but it'd be Vxse in the takeoff configuration, sort of a temporary best-angle-of-climb speed (with Vmca and stall margin consideration.) The Part 25 takeoff profile is more concerned with obstacle clearance in close than in rate of climb in close.
Final segment speed would be 'Vyse'.

Last edited:
What about the HSI? The slaved part?

If I remember correctly, Vsse is the minimum speed at which the airplane should be flown with one engine inoperative, intentionally. Defined…Speed for safe intentional single engine operations. The manufacturer put it there for safety that’s it. It has no relevance to determining airplane performance, etc. Its there for the same reason they tell you not to spin a twin.

What do flaps do? When do stall horns sound? AOA! I’ll let you think about this one, it goes back. Use that stuff you learned along time ago to build on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back