Could this be legal under 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CE750Driver said:
Wrong, if you were breifed for a 14 hour rest, under 135, you are under no obligation to pick up the phone. Even being under the obligation to pick up the phone is considered duty. So, by the memo you got, it looks to me like you cant do any 135 flights from 14 hours past your 10 hours of rest. Get it? Cause you being obliged to take calls or answer your blackberry starts you 135 clock.

Got ya. I didn't see where someone was in a 14 hour rest period. I do agree with you though. I wasn't saying that I didn't agree with the orginal question.

How does NetJets treat rest periods? Are you required to answer the phone after 10 hours or once released, not obligated to the company until your next show time for duty (even if it is 15 hours)?

gunfyter said:
Not obligated till briefed end of rest... even if its 15 hours. If I have to answer the phone it aint rest...

We are in rest or we are on duty.

I've been listening to all of this and been trying to apply some logic: If you get off duty and there are no other flights on the horizon for you, when do you turn your phone on? In this scenerio, the pilot has no obligation to turn his phone on and the operator has no way of telling him to go on duty and turn on that phone. From what I'm seeing here, the operator would always have to advise the pilot of his next duty start while he is still on duty - even if they have no idea of when the next flight would be. Anyone see the movie Catch 22?

Ace

gunfyter said:
Ace you got it right.

They have to tell you your showtime on the last day you work... I already have my showtime for Sunday and I have had it since last friday. 9 days ahead of time since I have had some time off.

Boy that would be great for the on-demand 135 pilots. Might actually give them a schedule. The only question I have is what happens to us poor 91 guys?

Ace

slowtation capt said:
CREW DUTY/REST POLICY

Dispatch may attempt to contact crewmembers once they have received minimum required rest (defined as at least 10 hours uninterrupted rest or extended rest as defined by SOP) after their last assigned duty period, but before their expected duty-on time.

When doing so, the following procedure will apply:

Dispatch will only initiate contact after the crewmembers have received at least the minimum required rest. Crewmembers will ensure they are available for contact after receiving the minimum required rest. After required rest, the crewmember will also ensure the hotel phone and the Blackberry is turned on and not silenced. The crewmember is expected to answer either if called. If called from 0001 to 0600 local by dispatch, for an earlier than originally assigned trip, the crewmember's duty begins at time of contact. For calls after 0600 local, duty will begin at the scheduled show time.

The real problem here is that the POI approved this. Management has him in their back pocket, and he does what they want. Whether or not this BS from the POI will hold up in court or not.....who knows? We have no input or control over this without a Union.

gunfyter said:
Not obligated till briefed end of rest... even if its 15 hours. If I have to answer the phone it aint rest...

We are in rest or we are on duty.

That's the way it was at Options.....for about 2-3 weeks, anyways. Then it was changed to the current policy listed in the initial post on this thread. If I'm called before I'm scheduled to go on duty, I know I can always play the fatigue card if they call me at oh-dark-thirty to go fly.

If we are briefed to go on duty at, say, 1500Z....we go on duty at 1500Z, even if they call us at 1458Z and say they don't need us on duty until much later. Unless they give us another 10 hours of rest from that point of notification, it doesn't make a difference. I hope that most of our pilots understand it this way, too.

FracCapt said:
That's the way it was at Options.....for about 2-3 weeks, anyways. Then it was changed to the current policy listed in the initial post on this thread. .

If you really want to know whats legal...

Federal Aviation Administration​
Office of the Chief Counsel, AGC-1​
800 Independence Avenue​
Washington, DC 20591​

ONLY the CHIEF COUNSEL or the ADMINISTRATOR can make legal interpretations of the Regs.​

Your POI can NOT.

Direct your question in writing to the ONLY source that matters.

Latest resources

Back