Correcting for long ago log book error?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aviator1978 said:
Is it all right and legal to put a comment in the log today to the effect: "This entry is to correct for the mistake on XX/XX/XXXX." Or should I go through each page and move the correction forward?

Thanks

Meanwhile, back on topic...

aviator1978,

My logbook is an example of how many errors one can make and still get a job flying heavies in international ops. When I discover an error, I correct it with a strike-through in red on the page with the error, with an asterisk. At the bottom of that page, in red, I write another asterisk and something like, "See correction on date mo/day/year." On the correction page, at the bottom I write in red, "x.x hours added/deleted. See error on date mo/day/year."

Right or wrong, that's what I've always done. As long as its transparent, explainable, and accounted for, no one should have a problem with it. Even the Japanese accepted it when they tranferred my US logbook to the Japanese logbook, and if they accept, anyone should.

And keep in mind - it is your logbook. You can do whatever you want with it. It can be as ugly as mine or as neat as an accountant's. The only thing that would be illegal is if you falsified the information. It's not illegal to make corrections.

Cheers.
R

Last edited:
Aviatior-

The front of my first logbook is embarassingly messy from correcting simple math errors. Once I got it straightened out, I started writing all of my totals in pencil. The entries are obviously done in ink, but everything on the bottom is in pencil. This makes it much easier to fix stupid math errors without making a mess.

My original intent was to go back at a later date and pen in the totals once they were audited, but laziness got the best of me and I never did. That was several years ago and after several interviews, nobody has said a word about it. I know a few others who do the same.

Latest resources

Back