Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FLYN2FAST4YOU

Shootn the ILS to MINS
SAS, Inc in Tampa, Florida is looking for the following due to more aircraft.

Second in Command (1,000 100 ME)

Pilot in Command, BE400, MU300

Please PM me for details...................

Big Dog, I just spent 10 minutes staring at your avatar.
Is it possible to fall in love with 1s and 0s...?:0 ;)

EBM3Be prepared for some way, way below average pay.

Why? Because of what you read on here? Southern Air has givin many lower time pilots, including myself, great opportunities to gain experience in turbine aircraft, where most other companies won't. It's been working out for that company for a while and yet no problems. Been there 8 months, got a Hawker type and fly SIC on the 800XP and PIC on B200. You really don't know until you try.

Why? Because of what you read on here? Southern Air has givin many lower time pilots, including myself, great opportunities to gain experience in turbine aircraft, where most other companies won't. It's been working out for that company for a while and yet no problems. Been there 8 months, got a Hawker type and fly SIC on the 800XP and PIC on B200. You really don't know until you try.

I do know. Interviewed there about a 1.5 years back. Did all the paperwork. Was told I was hired. Was told to expect first flight in a few days. Well 1.5 years later I'm still waiting. NOT. I did call and email just to make sure they didn't forget - I was assured they didn't. Yeah right! This also happened to another person I bumped into the other day out of chance in MCO. Got talking, this company was mentioned and he told me his story. As it happens it matched mine. Oh well - I guess we can't knock a 'class' operation now can we.

You did all of this for industry standard pay or better, right? Surely you didn't take low pay just to "gain experience." That would be dragging the bar down for all of us so I'm sure that's not the case.

Dear PA31Ho,

More power to you. You're the type of pilot SAS looks for. I hope it continues to work for you.

After you get some experience (4,000 - 10,000 hrs. and several years in the industry), you'll learn that the better operators will gladly pay market wages for your experience, not lowball you by offering 20-25% below market like SAS. If a typical BE400 SIC gets 40K, would you take 25K from SAS? If a typical BE400PIC gets 60K, would you take 45K from SAS? Just food for thought.

The better operators will also respect you as an employee and create an environment where you want to stay, not one where you feel you have to stay. SAS, like may other lower echelon operators, doesn't think you'll stay around. They try to twist your arm financially into staying by requiring you to sign a new training contract every time you attend a training event, including recurrent. In some twisted way, they think it's normal. They take advantage of your limited industry experience. Because you are none the wiser, you'll think it's normal, too, when it is most definitely NOT normal. Therefore, you're always in the position of owing the company.

Also, don't forget about the non-compete contract you signed just to get the job. That contract applies for 2 years after you leave SAS's employ, regardless of which party terminates the relationship. In other words, SAS can terminate you and legally prevent from getting a job in your local area for 2 years. You'd better be careful who you solicit employment from after you leave SAS.

PM me in a couple years and let me know how things are working out.

Just a few words to the wise. Good luck,

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back