Corpex Lawsuit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-Gates

Theese lawsuits are getting rediculous.....
-------------------------------------------------------------

ST. LOUIS - Pilots of a commuter plane that crashed in October in northeast Missouri, killing 13 people, had been on duty longer than the air carrier's guidelines, according to a fifth lawsuit over the disaster. The latest lawsuit, filed Monday in federal court here on behalf of Michigan physician Judith Diffenderfer, names American Airlines and Corporate Airlines Inc., owner of the Jetstream 32
camera.gif
that crashed Oct. 19 on approach to the airport in Kirksville, about 200 miles northwest of St. Louis.

The 19-seat, twin-engine turboprop clipped treetops before crashing about 7:30 p.m. on private property in a wooded area between two fields. Two passengers survived.

The flight was the sixth of the day for pilots Kim Sasse, 48, of Ramsey, N.J., and Jonathan Palmer, 29, of Cincinnati, who died in the crash.

According to the Diffenderfer lawsuit, the two pilots had been on duty for 14 hours and 41 minutes at the time of the crash, below current the Federal Aviation Administration's standard of 16 hours but beyond American Airlines' 14-hour limitation.

Extended duty times, which can lead to fatigue, may have been due to a pilot shortage that Smyrna, Tenn.-based Corporate Airlines reportedly experienced at the time, the lawsuit alleges.

A lawsuit filed last month in St. Louis Circuit Court by a daughter of Flight 5966 passenger Rada Bronson, 60, of Los Angeles, blames the crash that killed her mother on carelessness by American, Corporate Airlines and Trans States airlines.

Corporate Airlines and St. Louis-based Trans States run commuter flights and operations in and out of St. Louis' Lambert Airport under the name American Connection through arrangements with American.

The Bronson lawsuit, along with many of the others, alleges that the plane in question was not air-worthy, that the crew was not properly trained and that the airlines failed to stop the flight from leaving St. Louis in dangerous weather, among other things.

That petition also alleges that the airlines led Flight 5966's passengers into mistakenly thinking they were flying on American Airlines equipment and with pilots trained by American Airlines.

Survivors of two other killed passengers - Dallas-area photographer Paul Talley and Utah physician Clark Ator - separately filed suit against American and Corporate airlines in December in Texas, among other things accusing the carriers of negligently operating the airplane without an enhanced device to warn pilots how close the ground was.

The FAA had ordered all commercial airplanes with at least six seats to have the enhanced system by March 29.

In the Kirksville tragedy, "we believe it was foolishness to operate a plane this size without having this equipment," Windle Turley, the Dallas attorney representing the Talley and Ator families in the lawsuits, said.

The Texas lawsuits also cite the length of the flight crew's duty and the attempt to land the plane in "marginal conditions" as possible contributors to the crash.

A fifth lawsuit was filed last week in federal court here on behalf of a provider of workers' compensation coverage to employees of A.T. Still University, which has a Kirksville campus and had four employees on the flight. Two of those passengers died.

Everest National Insurance Co. of New Jersey alleges that Corporate Airlines should reimburse Everest for workers' compensation and other benefit payments made to the two survivors and the dependents of the two killed, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has reported.

The cause of the crash remains under federal investigation.

Messages were left Tuesday with Corporate Airlines and Trans State Airlines, which has said its only involvement in the ill-fated flight was boarding passengers in St. Louis.

American Airlines has said the company does not discuss pending litigation
----------------------------------------------

Lets see, they named 2 airlines that have no operational control over the flight (Trans States?! Come on!!) And inferred that had the pilots been trained by American, this wouldn't have happened. Right... Because AA hasn't landed any planes short of a runway lately....

WTF?!?!!

I think this tragic mishap should re-ignite the debate over regional work schedules and duty times. I wonder to what extent crew fatigue played a roll??

I agree, this is another example of pilots being tired. I just finished my schdeule last night, 6 legs, 2 a/c swaps, 7.6 hours flight, 12 hours duty! The crew was in the a/c from 1115 - 2015 without a break, finally we get a 57 min break and they give us a swap. To make this trip even more dangerous it was DCA flying all day.
The public is miss informed about regional pilots and thier training. The Americian crash in Little Rock was another example of fatigue. ALPA needs to continue to work on this growing problem.

As a pilot it makes me sick to see the crew be slandered for the crash, no one knows what even happened yet. It's always the crew needed more of this and more of that. The only thing the crew needs is a good night sleep, more money, more piece of mind about thier future and a little respect.

sluminginpit said:
It's always the crew needed more of this and more of that. The only thing the crew needs is a good night sleep, more money, more piece of mind about thier future and a little respect.

A-Frickin'-MEN! To that!
You said in 2 sentences what takes people like me 3 paragraphs. Can't wait for the "But I'm living the dream" crowd to pipe in....

This monthsrofessional Pilot Magazine, read the article on the last page in regards to accident stats and duty times.

sluminginpit said:
The only thing the crew needs is a good night sleep, more money, more piece of mind about thier future and a little respect.

So true.

Carelessness by TSA????????????????? It wasn't their flight, it wasn't their crew, how in the name of everything that is good and just can they in any way be blamed for the accident?

BTW, I'm not trying to place the blame on CorpEx, but if an airline that didn't operate the flight gets blamed for it, words will not describe how just undeniably wrong that is.

I remember when all the air marshals were crying about working 12hr. days and 4-5 legs in an airplane. They were usually chillin in 1st class!! WTF over!!!!

They give you these long days, and your rest starts about 10min. after you sign out!!

Best Case Situation!

9hr rest event!

land at 10pm and now you are checked out at 10:10pm!! And guess what the van driver is there!!!!!(if not 20-30 minute wait for the driver) yaaaaaa best case now remember! If your lucky only a 10-15 min. drive to the hotel. Get your key, and maybe some food also! Lucky if its 11:00pm before you get to your room. And I am not like most people I just can't get right in the bed and fall off! I need about 45min. to shower and wind down a bit, now i am lucky if I fall asleep by 12:00am.
With a 6am wake up for a 7am show... hmmmmm looks like I just had a 6 hour sleep night. And this goes good with my new 13hr duty day and 6 legs! And this was suppose to be my 9hr rest...
I do believe some changes should be made.

Good old lawyers, going after all the pockets they can trying to find money. Corpex? Do they even have any money? I can't beleive that lawyers don't go after all the savings accounts of regional pilots involved in crashes these days, O yea we don't have any.

and AMEN to the good nights sleep! More Money! Piece of mind about our future, and just a little respect. Well put sluminginpit!

Maybe the lawyers should go after the FEDS for allowing long duty days and short (10 hour) rest periods, WSurf is right on. A ten hour rest may get you 6 hours of sleep if you are lucky

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back