Contract flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sweetpee

Im a Crj 700 captain!! 10 yrs and 10000 hrs! I could use a little advice on this subject. I cant afford to go to a major----which I should have done a long time ago-- Im 35 and single!! I love my job and girlfriend but what would you do???? Got hired to fly in India and Italy pending my Irish Passport! I would love to here from someone who has done this stuff before! A little advice would be nice!!

Personally, flying domestic flights out of India sounds absolutely miserable. With the age change rule you still have 30 years to fly at a major. Save up for one year, make the jump to a major and it will be well worth it in the long run. Besides, I don't think that girlfriend of yours will be around too long if you are stuck in BF India for month long stretches...

The paycut is only for one year. If it's that unbearable for you, come to AirTran or Delta where first year pay isn't such a bad hit. Going to frickin' India to fly just so you don't take a pay hit for one year sounds crazy. It just isn't a smart long-term career move.

I agree

I am in my first year at SWA but it has gone fast. Do not go to that part of the world. I have spent a little time other there with my other job. I can see why they are always wanting to kill each other.

Jim

If you want to stay single go to India. Having the flexibiliy to do that (and no kids) should allow you to take a pay cut for a year at a major.

Im a Crj 700 captain!! 10 yrs and 10000 hrs! I could use a little advice on this subject. I cant afford to go to a major----which I should have done a long time ago-- Im 35 and single!! I love my job and girlfriend but what would you do???? Got hired to fly in India and Italy pending my Irish Passport! I would love to here from someone who has done this stuff before! A little advice would be nice!!

If I can do it (baby, house in NJ, wife working part-time only) you can definitely do it if you're single. Just don't buy the PS3, don't get a shiny new car and eat in for a year.

You might want to start thinking a little more long term. Who knows how long those jobs will last and then you're stuck looking for work here, perhaps after the majors quit hiring.

India is interesting to visit but hell if I want to live there. Italy might not be bad but hope they pay you in Euros.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

I am a contract pilot and enjoy it a lot, I wouldn't consider 121 in the states, commuting, security, taxes, no thanks. Life is good here.

I am also a contract pilot in INDIA. Flying the CRJ and love it!! I was hoping this would kind of stay a secret :). Dont what this to become a Mesa!

Im a Crj 700 captain!! 10 yrs and 10000 hrs! I could use a little advice on this subject. I cant afford to go to a major----which I should have done a long time ago-- Im 35 and single!! !

35 and single? Unless you have an ex wife with three kids to go along with that girlfriend, I would suck it up for a year and move on to a major. If you can't afford a paycut for a couple of years as a single 35 year old, you need some help in managing your finances.

Latest resources

Back