• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Confused about 2nd class medicals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not sure if this was covered, but presently after six months, a first class medical does not become a second class medical. It's still a first class medical certificate. After twelve months, it's still a first class medical certificate, and it's still a valid first class medical certificate. Just not for privileges requiring an ATP certificate.

Your certificate doesn't change into another class after a given period of time. It stays the same. The airman privileges that may be utilized in conjunction with that medical certificate will change with the life of the medical certificate, but it's class does not change. If you're flying in an operation that requires only a second class medical certificate, and elect to hold a first class, then you are still legal and still hold a first class medical certificate eleven months after the exam.

j41driver said:
Why's that?

Well, I feel that since a 1st class is required to fly under ATP privileges, the medical exam should be more stringent based upon the type of flying that an average ATP holder normally engages in. A pilot only required to possess a 3rd class in general flies less sophisticated equipment and less demanding flying operations. The reason there is even such a large difference in the 1st and 3rd class now is due to this thinking or philosophy. One should not only be in better physical condition, but that they are checked for any medical issues more frequently.

Amish RakeFight said:
A pilot only required to possess a 3rd class in general flies less sophisticated equipment and less demanding flying operations.

I know you said "in general" but in aviation I just really dislike generalizations.

I do realize you're talking about farmer Joe in his bugsmasher going in and out of 10,000' runways in a 150. But you also have to remember all of the King Air and soon-to-be VLJ owners that are going to or at least going to TRY to get those aircraft into 2,000' x 50' runways surrounded by trees with their family in the back.

At that point, is it the quality of my vision, blood pressure, etc or my decision making that makes the ultimate difference?

-mini

Amish RakeFight said:
Well, I feel that since a 1st class is required to fly under ATP privileges, the medical exam should be more stringent based upon the type of flying that an average ATP holder normally engages in. A pilot only required to possess a 3rd class in general flies less sophisticated equipment and less demanding flying operations. The reason there is even such a large difference in the 1st and 3rd class now is due to this thinking or philosophy. One should not only be in better physical condition, but that they are checked for any medical issues more frequently.

The 6 month thing is outdated. The reality of modern operations which require the exercise of an ATP certificate is that BOTH pilots meet a high qualification standard. The chances of both being incapacitated at the some moment are negligible.

In the old days, the co-pilot might have been marginally qualified, and the average 40 year old male was a walking, smoking, steak, bacon, and egg- eating cardiac time-bomb... no longer the case (on average). Medicine and personal health have advanced tremendously.

Latest resources

Back