• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuting to Cathay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How is life nowdays for a Cathay Pacific F/O? Are most people happy or unhappy?
I am thinking about applying in the near future and would like to get some info.

Thanks in advance.
RL

I'm very happy here after more then 3 years. Good quality of life, great guys to fly with, great pay, and lots of time off. Some anti-Americanism and a few not-so-nice check captains are the only complaints and I don't run into either of those things offen at all.

I'd heard that NHFOs were generally going to HKG and then after a few years being able to get US base, is this not the case? How does the cargo side compare to the pax side? How much of an issue is it to switch sides?

Acutally, all DEFOs have to go to a base now. I think the time to wait to go to HK is 4 years. I think that is part of what is causing the issues among folks that already work there.

No jumpseating at CX. foreign carrier. No cass, no jumpseats. ID 90s if you want them. I understand most people buy full fare tickets to get to work.

Crew members
Foreign members of crews working on foreign vehicles (for example, flight attendants and members of ships’ crews) do not need a work permit if the vehicle is in Canada for the international transportation of cargo or passengers.

link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-nopermit.asp

I believe the US has the same exemption in the CFRs somewhere. Where the vehicle is registered is more important than where the flight begins.

Sounds like citizens of any country can work for Cathay out of the US or Canada. Not good for natives.

and why is it not good for natives?

Because it means that those few slots in North America can go to citizens of any country. We will have to compete with pilots from all over the world - Mexicans, Europeans, Australians etc. - for those slots.

For what its worth I went to a canadian consulate last week and explained that I wanted to live in the US and commute (either by driving or flying) to canada. I told them that it was a foreign company with foreign registrated AC. I asked if I needed a work visa and was told that I did not. i may have to explain what I was doing every time I went across the border, but a copy of my trip should suffice. I asked about the future with on shore basings, they said if it is a canadian company, i may have to get a work permit, but that should not be too difficult.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back