commutair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
batman,

Apparently we interviewed a few folks in the past couple weeks and they will be placed in a pool until we need them. I don't think they are going to interview again any time soon unless we have a mass exodus like last February. With very few people leaving (and actually a few coming back from military leave) we have plenty of pilots right now. However, there are rumors flying around about serving CO hubs and getting larger planes, but nothing has been told to us.

As far as the working conditions at CommutAir, they are markedly better than last year at this time. The morale is much better, that's for sure. The trips are okay. We have a very unique bidding system which allows pilots to bid individual days or trips instead of whole lines. So in effect you could tailor a bid period to fit what you have going on that month, if your seniority allows. Everybody gets 12 days off every 28-day bid, regardless of seniority.

Commuting is certainly doable, but only if you're based in ALB or ROC. If you're in PLB, forget it unless you live in the Northern NY area. Commuting from a CommutAir city is pretty easy as long as you can bid commutable trips. Most ovenights start at noon on the first day and go to noon on the second. Four-day trips start at 2 on Sunday and end at noon on Wednesday. As a junior FO, you will have to fly Friday day trips which make commuting by air impossible. I'll let some other pilots who actually commute give more info since I live in ALB.

SuperD

I commute to ALB and don't have much trouble at all. Southwest is great. Some guys commute from the west coast and say they don't have much trouble either. Commuting isn't fun by any means, but it is doable.

I will second the remarks about morale. I was here last year before the furlough and morale is much better now.

SuperD is right on about the rest.

What times are competive for CommuteAir now? What do they look for in pilots? Does being local or wanting to be local help (I'm native to Albany and want to return.)? Thanks.

Regular Updates

Being from the west, I also don't mind to re-locate. I've been sending in my online updates. Now I have 1600TT, 286 multi, and 123 IFR, do you guys think I can compete?

Last question, where are the local resorts in relation to domicles for my snowboarding addiction?

Wow

ALB and PLB if you want to snowboard. Gore Mountain and Whiteface mountain are drivable. Whiteface hosted the skiing events for the 1932 and 1980 winter olympics. If you are in PLB you could probably get to many of the Vermont ski areas such as Stowe. Now that I think about it, Killington and Pico are both about two hours from ALB.

Wowjack,

Your times are right on par with what CommutAir hires. However, don't waste your time with the online application since I don't think they even check that. If you want to get noticed, send it here:

CommutAir
Attn: Chief Pilot
518 Rugar St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Or better yet, fax it to (518) 562-8030 with a cover letter addressed to Henry Wurster.

As I mentioned above, I don't think that we will be interviewing for awhile, but they will keep it on file until we do. Being from the West Coast isn't a problem, especially if you're willing to move. We have numurous pilots who aren't from around here. NEDude is correct about the snowboarding domiciles. PLB would be right up your alley if you like to do that stuff. In fact, that's pretty much all there is to do in PLB!

SuperD

Whiteface?

That's MISTER Whiteface to YOU!!

At least, that's what the billboard on I-87 north of Lake George says. :)

You mean the one I keep in my flight case to blind the rampies?

BTW, the rampies in PIT are even worse than those USAirExp rampies we used to hate in Boston. Really, they are. I think that the continents move at a greater speed than those orange vest-wearing glaciers!

Latest resources

Back