ComAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
3.5 years

I would be very, very skeptical with regard to the 3 and 1/2 year upgrade.

As you know, upgrades can only be generated by:

1. Expansion, or
2. Attrition

Expansion: The DAL 1st quarter report indicated that Comair would not be receiving any of the 40/50 seat CRJs in 2004. Their only deliveries would be 9 of the 70 seat variant.

Attrition: In this industry climate there are very few pilots leaving Comair to pursue their career at other airlines. (I know there are a handful going to Jetblue, AirTran etc. But far fewer than would likely leave if the majors were having a 1999-kind-of-year)

With attrition at a snails-pace and expansion slowing I believe that the rumors of the 7 to 8 year upgrade are far more likely to be true.

Its important as we all make career decisions that we have realistic expectations.

3.5 years

3.5 years ago -- 1999/2000 -- the airlines were in the middle of the largest hiring boom that the industry had ever seen.

Both attrition and growth were at their highest in the history of Comair along with dozens of other airlines. Pilots were being hired with only a few hundred hours.

Those pilots were definately hired at the right time. The pilots who are being hired today are being hired into a very different environment -- one of limited growth, expansion, and attrition.

While upgrades are coming at 3.5 years for pilots who were hired 3.5 years AGO, I do not believe that pilots hired today will experience the same very rapid upgrade.

We need to have realistic expectations. Just my opinion.

I begin upgrade training in July. I was hired in Jan '01. My longevity adjusted for the strike and a short furlough is 2 years this month. Even without any adjustments I will start upgrade training 2.5 years from my DOH.

yeah, i would agree with caveman, a recent upgrade award went to a few fellow 86ers that were hired just over two years ago. of course, this is by no means going to be an accurate indicator of future upgrade times. if you are contemplating comair for a quick upgrade, look elsewhere. if you are just interested in making captain asap for the better pay, i hope you enjoy sitting on reserve...

yeah but I think what he is saying is that those quick upgrades were a result of industry conditions at the time they were hired and Comair's rapid growth since then.

Based on Comair's current growth plans, and the current industry economics the upgrade time could be 7 or 8 years. More in line with what it was in the early 90s.

Latest resources

Back