Comair reserve and training hotels

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

How long does reserve run at JFK and Cinncinati?
Also is the hotel single occupancy and are you paid during training?

Thanks

1 Years
2 yes, and yes

welcome to the $uck; just don't turn in your FA for giving you a water or soda for the overnight, getting her fired like some crusty tool did here recently.

Its really a year for both bases?

Here is some info about Comair I typed up for a friend a while back...

Bases:
Cincinnati, OH (CVG) and New York, NY (JFK)

Current Fleet:
CRJ900: 2
CRJ700: 27
CRJ200: 136

Projected Fleet Makeup by February 2008:
CRJ900: 14
CRJ700: 15
CRJ200: 102

Pilot Employees:
~1,600

Pay:
1st Year F/O: $22/hr
2nd Year F/O: $34/hr
Per Diem: $1.55/trip hr

Min Guarantee: 75 hrs.

Most junior Captain hired:
CR7: April 2000
CVG: Dec 2001
JFK: Nov 2002

Reserve Time:
Reserve in JFK used to be relatively short (3-4 months), but it is on the increase. Probably close to a year now as well. CVG is about a year, maybe a little longer.

Hiring Outlook:
Hiring. One class a week through April/May 2008.
Posted Mins: 600TT/100ME

Note: They have been having a real hard time with people showing up to class. I know of several people that have been hired with less than posted minimums. Word on the street is they have some 250 hr. guys in class right now.

Training Notes:
  • Training is in Cincinnati, OH (CVG)
  • Ground School/Sim Training: ~8-9 weeks.
  • IOE: Average is ~30-40 hrs. (I’ve seen people get 50-60 hrs?... Ridiculous!)
  • Lodging is Paid by Company (Single Occupancy)
  • Radisson Hotel Downtown
  • Holiday Inn
  • Apartments (new?)
  • Training Pay is $250/week, plus per diem for 24/7.
  • Training Pay is more than what you will make your 1st Year as an F/O.
Other Notes:
  • Company does not pay for Uniforms (no allowance)
  • Crashpads around JFK: $200-$400/month.
  • Crashpads around CVG: $100-$300/month.

Last edited:
Reserve

So how is your reserve time allotted. Can you pick up/drop any reserve days? Wondering what the likelihood of getting 5-6 days off in a row (and knowing about it ahead of time) would be on reserve in JFK.

Not familiar with the process...

If you elect the apartments over the hotel, it is not single occupancy. Reserve at JFK is currently 9-10 months, when just a few months ago it was 2 or less.

So how is your reserve time allotted. Can you pick up/drop any reserve days? Wondering what the likelihood of getting 5-6 days off in a row (and knowing about it ahead of time) would be on reserve in JFK.

Not familiar with the process...

You get 11 days off on reserve. 7 hard days and 4 soft days. So, you can bid 8 days off in a row if you want.

Sorry, I'll be a little less vague this time. Good info posted above. Here are the numbers from the November line awards.

Junior JFK lineholder hire date: 2/07
Junior CVG lineholder hire date: 3/06
Junior 700/900 FO hire date: 2/07

There's currently an upgrade award out that runs JFK CA to 11/02

And, there's a bid out for 50 CVG FO's. So, if JFK FOs don't bid over, you could feasibly get CVG out of the gate, but plan on a long time on reserve.

Reserve pay guarantee is 75 hours and 11 days off. Guaranteed off a block of 4 and a block of 3, with the rest spread around as 'soft days' which can be moved at screwscheduling's will. But, once they move one, the others become fixed. Sometimes you're 6 on, 1 off for a couple back-to-back periods. Not a happy place right now...bit of pilot pushing going on and sick calls are scrutinized by Chief Pilots.

1 Years
2 yes, and yes

welcome to the $uck; just don't turn in your FA for giving you a water or soda for the overnight, getting her fired like some crusty tool did here recently.

To revise my remarks: Heard 1st hand on internal board that this fella didn't turn her in, but commented to her CA that she should be more 'discreet' in her comments in front of pax. Where it went from there is yet to be determined. I apologize for jumping the gun and submitting to the rumormongers.
:smash:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back