• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TankerToad

Airline passenger cited for remark about drinking
Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. - An airline passenger was cited for disorderly conduct Tuesday after the plane's crew accused him of insinuating the pilot had been drinking.

The remark caused Comair to cancel the 9:30 a.m. flight to Cincinnati, forcing 26 passengers to make other travel plans, said Lt. Michael Krembs of the Dane County Sheriff's Department.

Steven M. Wiese, 33, of Cottage Grove, was accused of leaning into the cockpit and remarking to the pilot, "I hope you haven't been drinking," Krembs said.

Federal Aviation Administration regulations require the flight crew to be tested for controlled substances when drug or alcohol abuse allegations are made.

"My assumption is it was a flippant remark," Krembs said. "But in this day and age of heightened airport security, you just don't joke about stuff anymore."

The airline refused to allow Wiese and his wife on another flight Tuesday, Krembs said.

His citation carries a $225 fine. The sheriff's department has referred the case to the FBI for further investigation.

$225 is not enough of a fine for the man who made the accusations. It's a shame that Comair had to lose money on this flight because of one smart-a$$ passenger.

Several years ago after the ill-fated crew of the 727 (NWA) incident, a NWA buddy of mine said an elderly lady commented to an FA about a late crew arrival; "you know those pilot's are just sitting in the bar drinking..." The crew was late due to a delayed flight. Upon arriving at the gate the FA told the captain, whom with the blessings of the union and chief pilot left the gate to have a BAC done.

To make a long story short, all crew were cleared. The flight was 3 hours late for departure, and the elderly lady (now the least favorite passenger on the flight) requested a new flight.

Passengers making a remark about a crew member like that should be held accountable. While not an ALPA member, I'm sure they would support you (and your company as well) if you proved your soberiety on the spot. While not a terrorist threat, it sure disrupts service when a crew has to be pulled for testing/questioning. This has to be slanderous if you ask me.

2000Flyer

In light of recent events, I think it's entirely appropriate for a 'paying passenger' to respectfullly ask this question.

Are we so arrogant that we question this. What if the passenger inquired about the airworthiness of the plane??? Etc...

'Cmon folks, a few bad eggs are giving us a bad name. We better get used to this.

All VERY legitimate questions if done with respect. IMO

Yes, Legit questions are ok. However, the public should not look at us as a bunch of drunks based off a couple incidents. Why cannot anyone have faith that we are in a professional position and that we have alot personally on the line that could give us more serious problems outside the public eye. Passengers that make allegations should be held responsible for their statements just as pilots then have to be responsible to have the proper paperwork filled out and proper testing be done when an allegation is stated. I am curious to hear what the pilots did as soon as that person made the comment. Did they just on the PA system and say "sorry ladies and gents, we cannot move the aircraft since a passenger has made the allegation one of us has been drinking". Thousands of dollars where lost by that one incident. I am going to imagine more allegations have been made and the only reason we have heard about this one is due to the media, which, in my opinion, does not help us either. The point I am trying to make is people need to keep there mouth shut when they have no reason to comment. That's my 2 cents worth!!!

Accusations

With all of them time and money we have put into this career choice of ours, it is not unreasonable to put protecting it at the top of our priority list. When and if a passenger makes such an allegation, our first priority SHOULD be to protect our careers. Delaying a flight to prove our innocence is not unreasonable at all and I would do it in a heartbeat. When a passenger makes an off-the-cuff remark that threatens my career and my ability to provide for my family, getting them to their destination on time is the least of my concerns. If a passenger has a LEGITIMATE concern that one or both of the pilots may be impared, either due to smelling alcohol or having seen then in the bar last night, it is not unreasonable to ask such a question. However if the passenger is just trying to be funny or be a smarta$$ the comment is out of line and the passenger should be treated accordingly. Remember the first ammendment does not mean you can yell "fire" in a crowded theater, and it does not allow you to make jokes about bombs in airports. I don't think it should allow you to make jokes about your flight crew being drunk either.

The last I checked this was still a free country, since when do we have to prove our innocence? Alot of people on this board seem more than willing to reduce our job into a constant battle of cowering down to the latest attack on our integrity. Keep volunteering to prove your not guilty of anything and soon you will be required to blow into a breathalizer in order to spin #2. You some common sence people. It's not bad enough with all the drug testing, background checks , driving checks, medical checks, performance checks, everyone in the country trying to find a way to destroy your carreer and family at the drop of a hat, now you want to add more crap to this pile? Name any other profession that is as examined like ours! With the exception of NASA and the NSA, there is probably not any! This stuff is already completely unreasonable, dont give it credibility by buying into the "it's ok" mindset.

I agree.

The best thing to do is to ask the passenger to take another flight if they think I have been drinking. That will usually shut them up quick.

Causing the company to loose money, and inconviencing a whole bunch of other paying passengers is not the right way to handle the situation.

Each and every airline passenger expects to have a professional flight crew. A professional flight crew doesn't show up for a flight with any alcohol in their system. As a professional pilot why should I have to prove to anyone that I am sober?

The only time I will EVER submit to a breath or blood test is when required to do so by my company or when required under FAR 91.17(C).

If this particular passenger is a real jerk, you can have THEM removed from the plane!

throttle

Passengers, TSA Agents and anyone else in the chain of airport occupants have every right to voice their concerns when there is reasonable suspicion to do so. Making allegations when you haven't yet seen the crew, as I assume was the case with the Comair crew and the NWA crew that arrived late, is irresponsible, reckless and intolerable. It undermines the intergrity of this profession that has been scarred by a very small number of us. If I tripped or dropped my flight bag in the precence of a passenger (I used to fly pax) I would answer professionally to any and all concerns. If someone were to make an unjustified comment to amuse him/herself, I would react the way the Comair crew or latter NWA crew did.

Latest resources

Back