Comair or stay with Eagle a fifth year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goodstick

I understand that everyone situation is different. But here is my.

I'm leaving Eagle next week to start with Comair on June 16th. I've been with Eagle for over 2 1/2 years. I thought about going to Comair about a year ago, but never got too serious about it until couple months ago. I stay at Eagle this long because I always thought that things would get better soon, and of course it's not easy to start all over again. Then again, there are a lot of 15 year captains who have been saying that all along... it will get better soon. Well, I have nothing against them or anyone else. They have their reasons to stay, and I have mine.

Here are some of my main reasons to go to Comair:
1.) Medical insurance is half as cheap as at Eagle. I'm paying about $190/mo at Eagle for a family of 4. At Comair, it will only cost me about $95/mo.
2.) I won't have to pay D2 charges any more. I used to pay about 80 -100 dollars a month to commute from CA to TX.
3.) Comair has a Pension Plan. It is very important to me, because I'm almost 40.
4.) I will make more money on second year pay (37/hr or 41/hr) at Comair than what I'd be making at Eagle as a 8 yr FO.
5.) I don't see any upgrade coming up any time soon. So if I'm going to be stuck as an FO, I might just well be stuck with a company that has better pay and contract.

Well, there are more to talk about, but those are the main ones.
Good luck with your decision.

How did you get your Comair interview? I'm trying to jump ship after 4.5 years at my current job...the ship is sinking and I too need to plan for some retirement.

Did you have any recommendations, or go to a Career Fair ??

At 4500tt and lots of part 121 exp. I think I'd be somewhat competitive, but who knows now days.

Thanks.

Kommutrdog

I faxed my resume and had one walked in about a year ago. I then called John Smith up couple of times, and each time he told me that I'm on the preference list. However the poeple who went to the job fairs always got ahead of me. I skiped 2 job fairs and never got the call for the interview. I finally went to one few months back and got the interview set up right there.

So, if you're serious about it go to the job fair. I know it's kinda expensive, but it's worth it.

Thanks !

Thanks for the info. I am planning on going to the job fair in June. I don't want to shell out more $$, but at this point, I really don't think it matters.

Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back