Comair News Hits!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IFlyFL410 said:
Freedom started flying 30 RJs for Delta starting this month. That was announced sometime back in the early Spring or so, I believe.
True, but the previous post by KingAirer implied Mesa had added aircraft when it was simply a reallocation of their fleet from (I believe) US Air to Delta. Delta, desperate for cash, was looking to shed debt (eg. leases on CRJ's) and Mesa had cash to buy their way into DCI. What are you going to do? No amount of concessions from the pilots of Comair could stop that transaction.

RichO said:
When will the incentives for voluntaries be out??? Any more specifics on this?? Enhanced medical and travel bens?? How much more enhanced??

Don't know the answer to your first question. A good source said that if you took the voluntary furlough the plan was that you would get three months of health care (vs. COBRA, apx. $300/ month if you are single) and continued pass privleges for the duration of the furlough (vs. 30 days per the contract). That said, my source was not a bankruptcy judge so I would take it with a grain of salt until you see something official.

Tim47SIP said:
Comair is going to suffer here for a while, but I think in a year or two, they will come out smelling like a rose. This may be the key to start flying numerous 70+ - 99 seat aircraft.

Yeah....great!

Flying 70-99 seat A/C....

......FOR 50-SEAT PAY!

...some fugin' rose!

RichO said:
They are talking about larger than 70 seat aircraft in the future.....maybe E170's and E190's.....what do you think????

I think mainline pilots need to fly the E170's and E190's.

Seriously, with these subcontracted lift providers (not an airline) under bidding each other and stealing contracts from each other every couple of years it is a race to the bottom for the employee's. This year Mesa wins, next year?

A properly structured mainline carrier should be able operate the E170 or E190 for less than a subcontacted lift provider. Why? Economies of scale and the elimination of the 3-4% profit margin most fee-per-departure contracts provide to the subcontracted lift provider (still not an airline)

With payrates and benefits at mainline carriers being what they are these days, there is not reason why they can't do it.

Jblu and the New US Airways are just the Beginning.

not to mention if they would just combine the regional providers to the mainline the elimination of a double management and mgmt staffing. I think this should have happened a long time ago.

Yeah exactly--why have to different companies--Delta Comair , and before ASA---What a waste of money paying all these people when one mgnmt. team can do it....

scarlet said:
Yeah exactly--why have to different companies--Delta Comair , and before ASA---What a waste of money paying all these people when one mgnmt. team can do it....

How would you play them off against each other?!?

Latest resources

Back