Comair Interview, but I have negatives

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

208starcheck

Got at call from Comair on Wed. for an interview on the 12th of march. I wanted to get excited but they asked me if I've ever failed a checkride. I had to answer yes I failed the commercial and CFI on the first try. John Smith told me I'd have to explain that. My question is..... Will those two failed checkrides end up deep sixing me.

I also have a crappy ATPw score. I had been studing for it on and off for 2 years. I finally got sick of preparing so I gave myself a week to study up and take it. 78% ouch

Any thoughts on those 3 negatives I have against me going into an interview. I've heard opinions from "it's nothing" to "you're screwed". I've been with Airnet for a year and a half with a good record.

Also how many recommendations should I take with me and from who. I don't know anyone at Comair.
Thanks

A failed checkride or two will probably not make that much of a difference. What the interviewer will be looking for is what you learned from the experience. Hint: Don't blame the examiner.
Your login name suggests you work for Airnet. If you've passed all your rides @ Airnet and have no black marks on your record that alone would show that you've learned from past mistakes. Nobody is perfect in this business. Many of us have got pinked at one time or another. I know guys at majors that failed type rides at the regionals. It's all in how you handle the question.

Here's an idea . . .

Any way you can take your ATP ride before your interview? Either single or multiengine? You might have to pay, but it would be tax-deductable and a worthwhile career investment.

Just my 2¢, but brandishing a nice, wet ATP temporary at the interview might be just the mouthwash needed to rinse away any failed checkride and poor ATP written score aftertaste.

The same idea may have helped me get my first full-time flying job. I had my Riddle interview scheduled for a Monday. I passed my MEI checkride the Saturday before. The board asked me about my plans. I stated that my plans were to be hired at Riddle and getting my MEI should show that I really wanted the job. This is several years ago, but I am sure I flashed my MEI temporary at the interview or the Chief Flight Instructor took copies of my certificates. I did not know at the time that the school upgraded non-MEIs to MEI on its nickel. Maybe thinking that I would not have to be upgraded at ERAU's expense tipped the scales in my favor, but I like to think that getting it just before my interview exhibited my determination to work there.

Good luck with your interview.

Last edited:
Do you have your ATP? If so I assume that you are concerned about them looking into your FAA stored files?
If you don't have your ATP try to take it before the interview.

Most airlines will get an online verification from the FAA with a few brief details, last medical, recent violations and so on.
Your entire FAA file with all forms since your private written is stored in a scanned format forever. Copies are given after a written request for record release, signed by you. A new ATP written would not remove an old one; it would just be filed in addition to it.
Very few airlines (non-?) will actually request your entire file from the FAA. (This takes several months).
The same is the case with medical records.
Insurance companies and layers do most of the requests for a complete record, typically after an accident.
I am not suggesting that you should give out incorrect information but many airlines will not ask for your written scores. My information might be a bit outdated so please correct me anyone - if I am wrong here.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just answer all of their questions honestly and try to put a positive spin on the answer, such as how the experience has helped you improve in the long run. Having been in the position of new-hire evaluator before, I know that most everyone has problems in their past. What separates the interviewees from one another is how quickly they accept responsibility and how they present their situation. Try to look at things from the perspective of the interviewer, They want to see how the interviewee deals with curve balls. In most all cases even the people with seemingly flawless backgrounds are thrown curve balls from the interviewer, then the interviewer sits back and lets things develop. The ways in which these type of questions are answered paint a picture bigger than just the verbiage spoken by the interviewee. As an interviewee, this is a good time to take a breath, then answer honestly, accountably, and positively.

Best of luck,

Spinup / ex-USC103

p.s.

Realize that you have already told Comair about the checkrides, and clearly they still want to interview you. Comair's statement that you will have to explain the checkrides, and their continued willingness to interview you overwhelmingly show that these problems are NOT disqualifiers.

Do NOT take another checkride before an interview. If something gets messed up on your ATP ride, now you have 3 pinks. Not a good idea. We have all failed a ride or 2 in our careers and yet we all make it to the majors. Don't sweat it for the comair interview......you certainly are not the first one who had to explain a failed ride....

Good luck with your interview! Let us know how it goes!
-Dmitry

i wouldnt worry about it, i had three failed checkrides when i got hired at comair. they where all part 91 CFII, INST and Commercial SE and all happended 8yrs ago, since then my track record is perfect and have never failed any 121 checkride and including a type ride. I was worried about my failed checkrides too but i think they look at current recent trends and i have had been 100% in the last 8 years. what i did was type out each one i failed with the date and gave a discription of what happened and said i retrained what i learned from the failure and passed on this date and had it with me and gave them a copy, but they never asked me about them in the interview. if possible i would take the ATP written over and score in the high 90's that would look good.. best advice would be to study very hard for the interview and go over the aviationinterviews.com gouge goodluck and PM if you have anyother questons.

Latest resources

Back