Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JECKEL

God's Own Drunk
Comair has been gearing up over the last month to begin a hiring swell. They are hiring instructors and are having job fairs nation wide. Where they will get the new pilots is a question for another post.

But just this week Delta approached Comair with additional new flying (7 aircraft for CMR,I think, and 11 for ASA) as well as requesting they be able to train 50 new hires a month for the foreseeable future.

With all the doom and gloom for the regionals, high oil prices and the parking of 75 'RJs" in the Delta system, what are these potential regional pilots going to be flying if not RJs (whose and what kind)?

Flame away but this is all directly from a CP and the Bosses in CVG.

Well, if nothing else, at least the RUMORS at Comair are becoming more positive.

50 new hires per month would result in a small amount of recovery in staffing levels...given the fact that over 700 Comair pilots have quit during the last two years.

I don't agree that there is any "new" flying coming to Comair...at least not yet. Comair must regain at least sixty airframes before any additional flying can be considered "new".

I guess if you set the bar low enough, it's easier to look like you're succeeding.

I've heard from an instructor that the company bought up all the CRJ700 (Or is it the "7" now?) time at FlightSafety for the next two months.

From directly out of the GO on Thursday ... Delta approached Comair and asked how much they could take. Comair's reply was 7 aircraft only because of manning difficulties.

Reportedly, Skywest/ASA was also approached and they agreed to 11 aircraft.

The training department got over 50 apps for new instructor positions and the interviews start Monday.

How Comair will get the number of newhires that Delta would like is a mystery to me, but training is gearing up to accommodate the request.

actually, we're not "getting" 7 more airframes. We're just not losing as many as previously announced. Soaper might call that growth, but I don't.

but hey, i'll take good news anywhere I can, seeing as how CMR is 1/3rd smaller than it was a few years ago.

Reportedly, Skywest/ASA was also approached and they agreed to 11 aircraft.

I'm a little out of the loop on this one, but it seems to be against everything that's been said lately. Could you please post some sort of source/press release/etc?

"I'm a little out of the loop on this one, but it seems to be against everything that's been said lately. Could you please post some sort of source/press release/etc?"

Look, I'm not a professional journalist that has done a lot of digging into this story. Read my post. Separately, a Chief Pilot at Comair and Training Department (management) folks in the GO said that Comair is picking up 7 aircraft for additional flights ASAP. They then said they believed that ASA was going to pick up additional flying too, about 11 aircraft. No front page headlines, no press release.

Yes, it is against everything that's been said lately. That was the driving force behind me posting this to begin with ... it's opposite from what everyone is saying and speculating.

What is fact is that Comair is gearing up their training department, from acquiring additional sim time to hiring additional instructors. They are having job fairs everywhere to beat the bushes to find new hire pilots. Comair doesn't piss without Delta telling them to ... and Delta wants new hires at Comair.

You try to figure it out, I sure can't.

But ASA is gearing down their training, and announced no more classes for new hires or upgrades.....

That part of it does not make sense.

Why so much attrittion at Comair? Its a nice turn to hear someone is hiring after the last few weeks of BK, hiring pools and locked schoolhouse doors.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back