Comair Concessions: Raise the Bar!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Treme,

Thank you for taking the time to write again. I don't know that I'm "visionary", that may be stretching the point, but I am dedicated to the welfare of the Comair pilot group and I mean it when I say that our solidarity is our greatest strength. I'm also not an "expert" on anything (not even airplane driving), but I have been in the trenches for awhile and I'm not new to collective bargaining.

I apologize both to you and other recently hired pilots for remarks like the ones you quoted, but I can't take personal responsibility for them nor can I brand the upper half of the seniority list for the transgressions of a few. By the same token I can't ignore the bottom half of the list due to the failings of some. In the heat of emotion too many of us often say thoughtless things to or about each other that we later regret. Unfortunately, once you've said it there is little that can be done to offset the ill effect of harsh words.

Like every other pilot group, we too have our percentage of self-centered and thoughtless individuals that comprise what I call the "a$$hole factor". All I can do is ask that you ignore those folks and focus on the silent majority. There is, I believe, far more good than bad among your fellow pilots.

I agree with you estimate of 1/3rd of the list being hired post strike. For a long time now I have been urging our leaders, directly and indirectly, to embrace this new group of pilots and assimilate it into the Comair culture. That can't be accomplished by disparaging remarks no matter who makes them. It is the job of our leadership to listen to our newer pilots and address their concerns. It is also their job to tell our old pilots that petty prejudices against newer pilots are a disservice to all pilots. The failure to do so will endanger us all. Likewise, our more junior members must recognize that their concerns are not the only concerns that must be addressed. The welfare of the group as a whole must govern.

Given the fact that so many have come from other carriers, with diverse cultures and attitudes but considerable experience, this is even more important than it might be if all were new not only to Comair, but to the industry. Believe me when I say that I fully appreciate the significance of this situation. We cannot be "one" if we divide ourselves into factions whether based on DOH, former airline affiliation or anything else. If we are not "one" the sharks will devour us all.

Much like a merger, when a large group comes to us from not just one but several other carriers, it is extremely important that they all be made aware that they are welcome, a part of "us" and not outsiders. That is the responsibility of those that came before (whatever date you choose to pick). At the same time, the newly arrived can't expect the existing group to change its culture, habits, language, or what have you, merely because they happen to be the latest arrivals or did it some other way in a previous life.

With regard to your comment about those that were defending the country while we were on strike there are two things that I can't resist saying: 1) I am grateful for their service to our country; 2) Some of us were defending the country before some of them were born. There is no monopoly on service to the country that rests solely among the newer pilots. Please don't go there.

I must confess that I don't really know what an "FNG" is, but from what you say, I sure know it's not good. As you pointed out in your earlier post, the strike IS over, and aside from the three or four scabs, who was here to walk and who wasn't must NOT divide us now. I also agree that "arrogant dismissal" of the concerns of ANY Comair pilot has no place among us.

I share your concerns and those of Furloughed Again with respect to job security. If we differ at all, it is because I believe that "job security", however it is defined, must apply to the entire group and not to any one segment of it.

For example, if there is a furlough the folks nearest the bottom of the "list" may lose their jobs. However, they are by no means the only part of the pilot group that will pay the price. What about all the downgrades from Captain to FO that would follow? Is that not a component of "job security"? What about the changes in QOL that will surely result from a reduction in force? Are they to be disregarded? Can we truly presume that concerns related to "job security" apply only to "junior pilots"?

If we are to consider contractual concessions as the route to "job security", and if job security (to you) means that you keep your job, what does job security mean to me? What is the price of "job security" that this pilot group should pay? Who among us will do the "paying"; what will it cost and what will we truly obtain?

I don't pretend to have the answers to all of these questions nor do I expect you to have them. What I do expect is that we must ALL understand that job security comes in several forms and does not apply exclusively to "junior pilots". WE are in this together! Your job may be the most important thing to you, but I respectfully submit that my position, pay, benefits, retirement, schedule, days off, and, etc., are of equal importance to me. You may regard your tenure here as the stepping stone to your future dream job. I have no problem with that, as long as you understand that I regard my tenure here as the permanent means of my livelihood. Those differences can be compatible if we respect each other.

Our leadership, with our advice, counsel, and ultimately consent, has the responsibility of sorting all this out and trying to come up with the right answers. It is not a simple task nor is it an easy task. We don't help them by ill-advised palace coups, insensitive rhetoric to each other or political posturing by malcontents. We must collectively make our wishes known but, in my opinion, dividing ourselves in the desire to be "more right" accomplishes nothing of benefit to any of us.

It is no secret that there exists forces external to this pilot group that would like nothing better than to see Comair pilots fighting among themselves. The simple fact is that such internal strife will provide them with the means to advance their agendas at our expense. It will provide us with nothing. Forgive me if I fail to understand just how in fighting will improve our job security.

The Company would have us give up a portion of the compensation, work rules, and benefits that we have been striving to achieve, not for 89 days, but for 25 years for some of us, 10 years for others of us, and 5 years for some of us. Others of us receive those benefits because of the work of those that came before. It was not without sacrifice. Therefore, it appears that those of us that have arrived more recently should be equally concerned about preserving those things for their own benefit and for those that will come tomorrow. They should recognize that it is not only their job security that will be affected, it is the job security of ALL of us. Rushing to give up what little we have because pilots at some other airline have done so, or because one segment of our group believes it to be in their interest, doesn't appear (at least to me) to make much sense; especially when our airline is known to be profitable (according to its owners).

The national union would apparently like us to join the downward spiral that its own flawed policies have helped to create at other carriers like ours. What has that union done to stay the "race to the bottom" among regional carriers that are members? What agenda does that "union" promote that could be construed as beneficial to pilots at Comair or ASA, for instance? Have they spent any time protecting our job security or is their time instead devoted to taking it away and giving it to those they choose to favor? How will it improve the security of Comair pilots to embrace a philosophy that would place pilots from another airline into Captain positions at our airline or into First Officer positions (at out airline) that pay "top of scale" while our own First Officers work for less or are blocked from promotion?

Of what benefit will it be to Comair pilots to purchase "growth" with their compensation package, if that "growth" will create positions that are filled by pilots from another airline? How will that improve our job security, especially when the pilots of the particular airline have spent the last 10 years on a course designed to remove our job security and prevent the very growth that they now believe we should purchase because they are in trouble?

Finally, my background in commercial aviation does not recall a single instance in which any pilot group ever "saved" a failing airline with concessions or ever regained the concessions they gave, regardless of the myriad "promises" made by their company, their union, or some external pilot group. I don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg, but neither do I wish to buy a pig in a poke.

To my knowledge, the company did not offer anything that it has the power to give. Comair cannot give "growth" to anyone. Only Delta can do that. If Comair pilots conceded everything the company asks for today, Delta can still give all the flying away tomorrow. No matter how long our MEC "talks" to Comair, that will not change. Maybe we do need to "talk" and I would be willing to do that. However, we need to "talk" with someone that has the power to give as well as to take. Otherwise, the talking is a waste of time and it will not provide the job security that you want or that I want.

Fights between junior pilots and senior pilots will not produce job security either. All that will do is weaken the group as a whole and make us easier victims of all 3 external forces. I hope you share that view.

Sincerely, and respectfully.

Hey surplus

B] :mad:Here we go again.........comair guys making statements about how great your numbers for performance are when in fact they suck. Reality is that the non wholly owned do a better job.

You are having a pipe dream!!

Last edited:
Oh one more thing..............

Do you really think that DAL is going to limit itself after the strike?

Limit itself with SCOPE protecting comair? Yeah right! No offense but in case you haven't noticed this is a new aviation industry. Stop crying about your wounds and get back to reality. Than maybe DAL would provide equal growth for all the DCI carriers.

Or better yet DON'T and we will reap the benefits.

YOU ARE NO BETTER THEN ANYONE ELSE!!!!!!AND DESERVE NO MORE!

25K hours-are you 61 yet?

.....Holy SCABS Batman!!............

..............WARNING...........WARNING...........WARNING..............

The poster above me has displayed an alarming propensity for future concession taking, picket line crossing, scabing behavior.

Geez, when will we pilots learn, unbelievable.

Surplus

Surplus,

First let me say thank-you for your reply. I wish that I heard more from the ALPA leadership about the subject but it seems that this will have to suffice.

You said, "if there is a furlough the folks nearest the bottom of the "list" may lose their jobs. However, they are by no means the only part of the pilot group that will pay the price. "

Allow me to conclude this discussion by saying that every structure must be built upon a sound foundation. Stregnthening this foundation will insure that the upper levels remain strong, and secure over the life of the building.

Our seniority list is no different. Job security for the most junior pilots is the foundation which will prevent Captains from being downgraded to F/Os and lineholders from falling back to reserve. Job security for the most junior is schedule-insurance for the more senior. It insures that they may avoid weekends and holidays and continue to excercise the rights and privileges of their seniority.

You said, "Who among us will do the "paying"?"

Every one of us. Protecting the most junior is the insurance policy which secures the quality of life for the more senior. ALPA's biggest failing (at other airlines)is, and always has been, forgetting that fact and trying to build a skyscraper upon a weak, unstable foundation. So yes, we will should all pay with valuable negotiating capital with the goal of a stronger, more unified pilot group.

You said, "You may regard your tenure here as the stepping stone to your future dream job."

I resent that insinuation. Like many of the other pilots who came to Comair as refugees from other airlines, this is now my home.

And finally may I take a moment to address the Chautauqua pilot who posted the following:

"Do you really think that DAL is going to limit itself after the strike?

Limit itself with SCOPE protecting comair? Yeah right! No offense but in case you haven't noticed this is a new aviation industry.
"

This is the same old airline industry my friend. When you were still practicing turns, climbs, and glides in a Cessna 150 Surplus and others like him were building airlines. They were creating the profession that you dreamed of.

Your company has every right to "bid" for flying and try to do it better and cheaper than your so-called "competition". Today the industry is at a part of the cycle which will support that.

Tomorrow you may well have hit the same critical-mass that Comair is now experiencing. You may find yourself in the target of an aggressive, low-cost competitor.

There are 12,000 pilots furloughed from major airlines today. Do you think that ANY of them made decisions that are any different than the ones that you made? Do you think yourself better because you had the good fortune to get hired by an airline during a growth-mode?

If you think that the Comair, ASA, etc pilots will sit back and simply watch you extract more and more flying from DCI without fashioning their OWN response whether competitively or by collective bargaining you are FOOLING yourself. Your growth comes at our expense.

I suggest you show a little more respect to those who came before you. Up until now you've been lucky. Nothing more, nothing less.

Respectfully,
Treme

Re: Surplus

Treme said:

I suggest you show a little more respect to those who came before you. Up until now you've been lucky. Nothing more, nothing less.

Respectfully,
Treme

As has everyone else who has a job rght now, Treme. Surplus built nothing. He merely sat on his A$$ until the next gig came along. He can be bought, as can you, as can me. It is only a matter of time. Many of his statements are the same thoughts he was chistising the Delta pilots over. You guys make me laugh. This whole profession does. Bunch of whores, every single one of us.

--a concerned regional pilot

Re: Surplus

Oh I'm sorry this IS the same old airline industry. My bad. I didn't know. First of all let me say that you built nothing for me-NOTHING. In fact your and other greedy "OLD SCHOOL" a$$es like yourself are the reason we are here.

About the decisions I made.....

I made my decisions a few years ago and the thing that you consistently overlook is that we are not "puppets" that are whorely owned. We code for AA, USA, DAL, and formerly AWA, and TWA. We have been in business since 1973 and yes despite what you may perceive, since before comair.

I do not want or expect the comair or asa pilots to sit back and watch, however, do not assume this "holier than thou" stance you all are so fond of. It is bull$hit and you know it. The numbers prove it. It is always skywest and chautauqua 1 and 2. Why is that? Is it that your product is far superior? Is it that you guys(cmr)get paid more? Maybe it's the fact that the senior pilots in the respective pilot groups are baby boomers instead of generation x'ers. What else would you like to use for an excuse?

Here's what I think. We have three codeshares, 10 or so bases, and we still manage to run better numbers week in and week out. SYSTEM WIDE! In airplanes that you all perceive as "inferior" to the crj's.

No I suggest you show a little more respect! Why would I respect you? Why would I want to? It is not about LUCK my friend it's about the decisions you make. Your's was comair mine was not!

Any Questions,
embraerdriver

P.S. This pertains to what is written below.

And finally may I take a moment to address the Chautauqua pilot who posted the following:

"Do you really think that DAL is going to limit itself after the strike?

Limit itself with SCOPE protecting comair? Yeah right! No offense but in case you haven't noticed this is a new aviation industry.
"

This is the same old airline industry my friend. When you were still practicing turns, climbs, and glides in a Cessna 150 Surplus and others like him were building airlines. They were creating the profession that you dreamed of.

Your company has every right to "bid" for flying and try to do it better and cheaper than your so-called "competition". Today the industry is at a part of the cycle which will support that.

Tomorrow you may well have hit the same critical-mass that Comair is now experiencing. You may find yourself in the target of an aggressive, low-cost competitor.

There are 12,000 pilots furloughed from major airlines today. Do you think that ANY of them made decisions that are any different than the ones that you made? Do you think yourself better because you had the good fortune to get hired by an airline during a growth-mode?

If you think that the Comair, ASA, etc pilots will sit back and simply watch you extract more and more flying from DCI without fashioning their OWN response whether competitively or by collective bargaining you are FOOLING yourself. Your growth comes at our expense.

Respectfully,
Treme [/B][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree - i'm not going to further hijack my own thread to argue with you.

For what its worth, I worked for Chautauqua in the mid-90s.

Should I have stayed rather than leaving to go to the majors? What would you have done?

Luck. Not choices. Fate is the Hunter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back