Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colorado Plane Crash Into Parked Semi-truck.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Headlines July 03, 2006
Plane crashes into empty truck; 2 dead

The Associated Press
MONTROSE — Two people were killed when a small plane slammed into the unoccupied cab of a tractor-trailer rig parked on a residential street and burst into flames Monday, fire officials said.

Montrose Fire Protection Battalion Chief Allen Weese said both victims were on the plane. There were no other passengers aboard, and no one on the ground was hurt, he said.

The plane, the truck and a pickup caught fire, but the flames were extinguished and none of the nearby houses caught fire, Fire Chief Bob Pistor said.

“There was this big bang and my wife yells, ’Oh my God, the truck is on fire,’” said Levi Hawks, a long-haul trucker who owns the tractor-trailer cab.

Hawks said the cab was parked in front of his home. He said neither he nor his wife saw the collision.

Nancy Weese, who lives across the street, said the fire was so big it obscured the plane.

“At first we didn’t know there was a plane there, because of the fire,” she said.

She said burning fuel spilled onto her lawn.

Weese, who is the mother of the fire battalion chief, said the plane would have smashed into her house if Hawks’ truck had not been parked where it was.

“I just thank the Lord the truck was there,” she said.

The neighborhood is below the flight path to Montrose Regional Airport, Montrose County sheriff’s spokesman Dick Deines said.

The airport, about 180 miles southwest of Denver, was the scene of a November 2004 crash that killed the son of NBC Sports executive Dick Ebersol and two others. The National Transportation Safety Board said ice on the wings was a factor in the crash.

Monday’s crash occurred shortly after 10 a.m. MDT, said Gary Mayer, the regional duty officer for the Federal Aviation Administration in Seattle.

It was the first fatal crash in Montrose since the Ebersol crash
:eek:

“I just thank the Lord the truck was there,” she said.

Where was the Lorrrrd for those two poor pilots?

Two Pilots Crashing in Montrose

I'm friends with the instructor's son, and may I say that this terrible tragedy could happen to any of us. The instructor was an incredibly experienced pilot, with thousands of hours in all types of airplanes, big and small - this is truly a loss to aviation and his wonderful family.

Godspeed.

jetalc said:
I'm friends with the instructor's son, and may I say that this terrible tragedy could happen to any of us. The instructor was an incredibly experienced pilot, with thousands of hours in all types of airplanes, big and small - this is truly a loss to aviation and his wonderful family.

Godspeed.

The instructor wouldn't have also been an FAA examiner as well would he?

The examiner for my instrument and multi is from there and I now he's done instruction as well.

Never mind jetalc....I just looked up the story on the Denver Post and got the names.

It wasn't the guy I was asking about, but my prayers go out to the family of both anyway.

Like you wrote...Godspeed.

Just found out the instructor was one of us (flight options). He retired last year. He was a Hawker captain.

jetalc said:
and may I say that this terrible tragedy could happen to any of us.
No, you may not say that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back