• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

code share opinion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think for the most part it has worked well at Alaska. After all, we are considered the codeshare whore. Many of the routes to Hawaii and to the east were only codeshares in the past. As Alaska finally realized that people actually wanted to fly on Alaska to places other than the west coast, they added flights to where the codeshare partners had connecting flights out of and it worked. To be fair this has worked well since Alaska flies to many places in the State of Alaska that no one else goes, or cares to go, for that matter.

Now, some may blame this codesharing on Alaska not growing much ever. However, it has certainly added to the bottom line and given Alaska a lot of passengers that otherwise wouldn't have flown on them. Maybe even persuading some customers to use Alaska over it's codeshare partners when possible.

As far as Southwest goes, it's a different operation, with a different route structure and philosophy. It may not work as well there. I don't know.

I'm all ears.

Explain, with examples, flying that was started by one carrier and then, "viola", swapped out for mainline or the other partner.

Gup

Lubbock!

-The sky is the limit!

If Aloha hadn't tanked, Alaska would not be in Hawaii.

My .02,
Gup

Alaska wouldn't have been in Hawaii to the extent that it is. However, the process was already well on its way when Aloha and ATA went under to start flights from ANC and SEA. It just created more opportunities for Alaska, as we have seen.

Latest resources

Back