Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chickenwolf

Winter is Coming!!!
Lets say you're cleared for the ILS but the Glideslope is NOTAMED out. Should'nt the controller say cleared for the LOC instead or is it kosher to say the ILS? Sorry that I'm t lazy to look it up :)

Lets say you're cleared for the ILS but the Glideslope is NOTAMED out. Should'nt the controller say cleared for the LOC instead or is it kosher to say the ILS? Sorry that I'm t lazy to look it up :)

Unless there is another LOC only approach published, the controller would have to use the title of the published approach in use. If that is an ILS approach then that is what it must be called. The controller may say that the glideslope is inop along with the clearance.

DC

Unless there is another LOC only approach published, the controller would have to use the title of the published approach in use. If that is an ILS approach then that is what it must be called. The controller may say that the glideslope is inop along with the clearance.

DC

What if the title is "ILS or LOC"? Would the controller be correct using the phraseology "Cleared for the localizer..."?

yes,so long as the published title of the apch says both with an either between them. When this happens the minima criteria will also depict it as such (ILS or LOC).

I'm t lazy to look it up :)
Actually, even if you weren't too lazy, I would bet you would have a hard time 'looking it up'.
I challenge any person who has, or will respond, to quote a hard reference to this.

If the controller has to say "ILS" instead of "localizer" if only "ILS" is used for the approach, how come the approach chart includes a localizer only approach MDA with a time to MAP chart?

References, please. I'm not interested in hearsay.

MAP time and speed on the ILS apch plates

Actually, even if you weren't too lazy, I would bet you would have a hard time 'looking it up'.
I challenge any person who has, or will respond, to quote a hard reference to this.

If the controller has to say "ILS" instead of "localizer" if only "ILS" is used for the approach, how come the approach chart includes a localizer only approach MDA with a time to MAP chart?

References, please. I'm not interested in hearsay.

To add.... An ILS is a precision approach which does not require the MDA with time to MAP.. however if the glide slope goes down then this approach becomes an NON-precision approach and you need to have this information to make the approach without the glide slope.. So as an example your cleared for the ILS and suddenly the GS goes OTS you would have to go missed approach if you did not have this MDA and MAP times so the FAA in its wizdom has this information as a reference only for this situation.. On the profile view of the apch... it also shows you on the profile view the distances for the NON-Precision procedure.. as well as alternate minimums for a Straght in apch, and circling apch.. all this is for Notamed out navaids...
Hope this helps

Last edited:
To add.... An ILS is a precision approach which does not require the MDA with time to MAP.. however if the glide slope goes down then this approach becomes an NON-precision approach and you need to have this information to make the approach without the glide slope.. So as an example your cleared for the ILS and suddenly the GS goes OTS you would have to go missed approach if you did not have this MDA and MAP times so the FAA in its wizdom has this information as a reference only for this situation.. On the profile view of the apch... it also shows you on the profile view the distances for the NON-Precision procedure.. as well as alternate minimums for a Straght in apch, and circling apch.. all this is for Notamed out navaids...
Hope this helps

You are out of your mind if you continue an ILS as a LOC when the GS "suddenly" goes out. The GS has just failed but you trust the LOC? Sure it wasn't your equipment? Go around and breif the proper approach.

Latest resources

Back