CIV LOR vs MIL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CCDiscoB

Much has been said about civilian pilots vs. military pilots, and I'm not going to add anything here. But I will add an observation that will cheer up all you civilian pilots. As I sit here and read about how it helps to have a Letter of Recommendation (LOR) to get a NetJets interview, I wonder if any of my buddies work there, or any other civilian heavy organizations such as Polar Air and the corporate world. I’m sure there are a few here and there but for the most part many of the pilots us military types know went to the majors. I actually feel at a disadvantage competing with you guys. I’m also entertaining the thought of buying a type rating (not 737 however).

Good luck

CCDiscoB,

I have noticed your postings here for a while. It looks like the job search has been a long one for you. Know this: no matter if you are civvy or mil, if you get a job you were hoping for you are lucky. Yes, it is often harder for those of us civilian trained generally, but everyone should feel grateful for what they have.

What I am saying is you are not the first. We have all filled out apps where we were certain we were shoe-ins, all to no avail. All you can do is keep trying.

With 3600 hours of fighter time, exactly what do you think you'll be adding to your quals with a type in an aircraft type you may or may not fly? It's hard to imagine you making yourself more attractive than what you are now. I'd hold off on doing that, personally.

As far as your original lament as far as not knowing any one, look at my profile. Do you think I knew many people in the airline business, let alone jetBlue? They still hired me, and a LOR is arguably more important here than at EJA. Don't lose the faith.

JayDub

CCDiscoB,
I would say there are more military guys at NetJets than you probably think. Aviation is a small world and I've bumped into several guys at NetJets that I used to fly with in the military but lost touch with after I PCS'd. If you want, send me a PM with your name, email address, and any other personal information you want to include, and I will post it on our Pilot's Website and ask if anyone knows you and is willing to write you a LOR. Your choice...

Latest resources

Back