• Watchers 6

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

350DRIVER

I am very curious about a few things that I cannot seem to "verify" or get any answers to anywhere and would appreciate the input from the CHQ guys if they have the time to post.

1) Should a "new hire" be concerned about the possibility of loosing his job IF CHQ does strike and management takes the offense.?

2) What can/will happen to someone who is in training at the time of the "strike" IF this does happen.? Do they stop the training or what exactly is going to happen.?

3) What is the worst case scenario that a new hire can/will be faced with should a strike happen..?

I appreciate the information and heads up from the pilots who are working hard to put the food on the table for the family. I am just out of this loop and would like to know about the above.

thanks ahead of time for the replies and a good weekend to all-

3 5 0

Anything can happen in the event of a strike. More than likley what will happen is management will be pissed and anyone on training and on porbation will be fired. However, when the whole thing is solved and a contract is in place part of the "back to work agreement" will be to rehire all thoes fired. It all depends on how the union negotiates though.

Also in the unlikely event of a strike, said company may loose bussiness interms of who they provide feed to. So say you had a contractor airline that provides for say Ziggy Airways, Wiggy Shuttle and Biggy Discount Express all of these being 3 seperate major airlines. If Wiggy Shuttle says hey you guys aren't doing your job (because your on strike) we're cancelling the conrtact/agreement we have and are going to use Bend Over Feeder Air in place of you. Now when the strike is over instead of providing feed for 3 majors you only have 2 contracts therefore aircraft are still parked and not all the pilots get called back.

In reality anything could happen.

On a serious note, whatever happens when you're a new hire....don't EVER cross a picket line, even if it means potentially losing your job.

I was with comair when they went on stike. I had just finished the sim ride, but had yet to do IOE in the airplane and boom, strike. Since some of the ground school instructors were not pilots, they didn't strike. Since I was not protected by the union (by those particular rules for ALPA, we had to do IOE first) I had to attend this little odd ground school. Very shortly, the company let us all go (once again, those not protected by the union). I am now with CHQ and it looks like we are headed in that direction. I am not really sure if it is union membership that protects you or if it is probationary status that protects you (now I tend to think the latter). However, once comair resolved its issues, they were back on track for growth and needed every pilot back (thats where I had already gone to CHQ and had been online for a month or two). If you loose you job at CHQ due to a strike, get unemployment, or a job and wait it out, there would be a good chance that CHQ would bring you back if all was resolved. These are just my opinions and thoughts, don't take them as factual.

You won't lose your job. Anyone who gets fired will be rehired. The only real way a probationary pilot will lose his job is if everyone else loses theirs, too, i.e. the airline is shut down. Probationary folks are at no increased risk of termination due to a strike. You are fully protected under the contract, etc. etc. etc..

What you may consider is what will happen if the Holding Company transfers flying to Republic in the future. You may keep your job for the short term if we don't strike, but unless all the flying stays at CHQ you junior guys may wind up on the street shortly.

I cannot tell you how to vote, but you must consider the ramifications of an alter-ego airline starting up to compete with CHQ. Stopping/Restricting that abomination is imperative, IMHO, and you must vote carefully. Do not live in fear of losing your job if a strike comes to pass just because you are on probation. That is really a non-issue.

Skull-One said:
You won't lose your job. Anyone who gets fired will be rehired. The only real way a probationary pilot will lose his job is if everyone else loses theirs, too, i.e. the airline is shut down. Probationary folks are at no increased risk of termination due to a strike. You are fully protected under the contract, etc. etc. etc..

What you may consider is what will happen if the Holding Company transfers flying to Republic in the future. You may keep your job for the short term if we don't strike, but unless all the flying stays at CHQ you junior guys may wind up on the street shortly.

I cannot tell you how to vote, but you must consider the ramifications of an alter-ego airline starting up to compete with CHQ. Stopping/Restricting that abomination is imperative, IMHO, and you must vote carefully. Do not live in fear of losing your job if a strike comes to pass just because you are on probation. That is really a non-issue.

I don't mean to be disagreeable here because this "may" be the case. It may not in this particular situation though too. Under no circumstances cross a picket line even if it means losing your job. That's exactly what the striking pilots are risking. Pilot groups AND management understand your predicament. I'd venture to say some management pilots and administrators do sympathize with pilots also, but they have their jobs to do too. The could lose their jobs by displaying some overt sympathy. As a new hire, I'd stay away from the line or big talk in the halls.

Since you are not an employee until you finish your check ride , you may be able to continue training until that point but you would not be allowed to do IOE since that would be struck work. It depends on how long the company thinks the strike will continue whether or not they terminate your training.

Latest resources

Back