Chem-Trail update: MSP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
big_al said:
well that was what Mr Leno was talking about. Nothing to do with chem-trails, but people love to call anyone wacko that doesnt fit their short sighted and uneducated viewpoint

You're trying to play yourself as educated? How about learning how to formulate a proper sentence, and spell simple 2nd grade words correctly?

Lets do some math, and find out "how much airplanes pollute"

Take a typical 757-300... a reasonable example of a mainstream mainline airplane.

It burns roughly 6000 lbs/hr. At 6.5 lbs/gal thats 923 gallons per hour. In that hour it travels approximately 450NM. Thats approximately 515SM.

515SM / 923Gal = 0.558 MPG

Now lets scale that, and compare to a typical car. That 757 has roughly 220 seats. A typical car has 4. We can take 220 seats and multiply it by 0.558, and get 122.75 MPG/Per seat.

Now comes the kicker. Lets divide that 122.75MPG/Seat by 4, to compare to a typical 4 seat car.

122.75 / 4 = 30.7MPG

In summary - an automobile with 4 passengers would have to get 30.7 MPG to equal the same economy of a fully loaded 757.

What cars do you know that will seat 4 relatively comfortably, get 30.7 MPG, and get you NY-LA in 4.5 hours?

How about you inform yourself before you come on and spread your wacko brain melding agenda.

I had a dude that looked like something out of a 70's Bank Robber / DB Cooper (or the actor who played him on the History Chanel) walk up and ask me under his breath while looking around, "So what's the deal with them chemtrails, we gonna have any on board?"

"I said, OH YA! we will!"

What Al Gore may have been (incorrectly) referring to was a study of temperature variation during the grounding after 9/11. What was found was that variation between high and low temperatures increased, since contrails moderate these fluctuations (much like any other water/ice clouds would). The study was based on temperature information gathered by the National Weather Service.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/07/contrails.climate/index.html
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20020511/fob1.asp

Here's a transcript of an interview of one of the scientists on the PBS science show NOVA.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3310_sun.html

NARRATOR: But the problem Travis faced was to establish exactly how big an effect the contrails were actually having. The only way to do that was to find a period of time when conditions were right for contrails to form, but there were no flights. And, of course, that never happened—until September, 2001. Then, for three days after the 11th, virtually all commercial aircraft were grounded, so Travis set about gathering temperatures from all over the U.S.A., and comparing them to records from the last 30 years.
DAVID TRAVIS: ...initially, data from over 5,000 weather stations across the 48 United States, the area that was most dominantly affected by the grounding.
NARRATOR: Travis was not looking just at temperature, which varies a lot from day to day. Instead he focused on something that normally changes quite slowly: the temperature range, the difference between the highest temperature during the day and the lowest at night. Had this changed at all during the three days of the grounding?
DAVID TRAVIS: As we began to look at the climate data and the evidence began to grow, I got more and more excited. The actual results were much larger than I expected.
So here we see, for the three-day period preceding September 11th, a slightly negative value of temperature range with lots of contrails, as normal. Then we have this sudden spike right here of the three-day period. This reflects lack of clouds, lack of contrails, warmer days cooler nights, exactly what we expected, but even larger than we expected.
NARRATOR: During the three-day grounding, the nights had gotten colder and the days, warmer. Averaged over the whole continental U.S., the temperature difference between day and night had suddenly increased by over a degree Celsius or two degrees Fahrenheit. Travis had never seen anything like it before.
DAVID TRAVIS: This was the largest temperature swing of this magnitude in the last 30 years.

Napoleon TNT said:
crizz-
You have balls.

I like balls.

- OK, a limosine that can fly. Now I have seen everything.

- Really? Have you seen a man eat his own head?

- No.

- So then, you haven't seen everything.

Last edited:
Crizz said:
You're trying to play yourself as educated? How about learning how to formulate a proper sentence, and spell simple 2nd grade words correctly?

Lets do some math, and find out "how much airplanes pollute"

Take a typical 757-300... a reasonable example of a mainstream mainline airplane.

It burns roughly 6000 lbs/hr. At 6.5 lbs/gal thats 923 gallons per hour. In that hour it travels approximately 450NM. Thats approximately 515SM.

515SM / 923Gal = 0.558 MPG

Now lets scale that, and compare to a typical car. That 757 has roughly 220 seats. A typical car has 4. We can take 220 seats and multiply it by 0.558, and get 122.75 MPG/Per seat.

Now comes the kicker. Lets divide that 122.75MPG/Seat by 4, to compare to a typical 4 seat car.

122.75 / 4 = 30.7MPG

In summary - an automobile with 4 passengers would have to get 30.7 MPG to equal the same economy of a fully loaded 757.

What cars do you know that will seat 4 relatively comfortably, get 30.7 MPG, and get you NY-LA in 4.5 hours?

How about you inform yourself before you come on and spread your wacko brain melding agenda.

well thanks for that 2nd grade math lesson, mr einstein. but dont get your panties in a bunch. besides, i didnt spell anything wrong. you know what they say about people who run for the grammar argument.

anyway, it isnt just about MPG, mr einstein. maybe you should take a sip of your own medicine and actually educate yourself before you go calling somebody a wacko. too bad schools out for the summer, i hear librarys are open until at least 6 each day

big_al said:
you know what they say about people who run for the grammar argument.

No, I haven't heard that one. Is it as good as the one about the one legged lady at the soccer match? Now that's a good one! HA!!

Latest resources

Back