Chautauqua vs. Republic Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GianniRicco

Seems there is a battle being fought with the Chautauqua pilots and the US Air main line pilots. From what I hear, Chautauqua pilots either must accept the "Jets for Jobs" deal with US Air or Republic Airways will be formed to side set the Chautauqua pilots. I also understand that ALPA will not negoiate with Chautauqua, its either take it or leave it.

anyone have any more commets on this subject?

From IBT Website:

As you are well aware, the Union is engaged in a concentrated effort to stop the formation of the alter-ego Republic Airlines. We have filed a group grievance against Chautauqua and the parent company, Republic Airways Holdings, Inc., for their start-up operations of Republic. It is the Union’s contention that the formation of Republic Airlines violates the scope provision transfer of aircraft prohibition. We strongly contest the formation of Republic which we feel will endanger the job security of every Chautauqua pilot. The short and long term damage of Republic would not only be the loss of current code share business with US Airways but all future growth at Chautauqua will be severely restricted.

It is for this reason that the Executive Council tendered a proposal to Chautauqua late last week to stop the formation of Republic Airlines. We have indicated to the Company that, if the twenty-three (23) aircraft slotted to go to Republic were kept at Chautauqua and Republic Airlines dismantled, we would once again put out a Jet for Jobs Agreement to the pilots for ratification. The price, as the Company has stated for stopping Republic Airlines, is reduced labor wages for the additional twenty-three (23) aircraft. The IBT neither participated in the discussions nor were informed of the Republic Airlines’ formation until after the deal was struck. The labor scales that Republic Airways Holdings, Inc., US Airways and ALPA agreed to are current PSA rates. PSA rates are anywhere from $2.00 to $5.00 less than current Chautauqua rates. In order to meet the Company’s concern, the Union has proposed, subject to ratification, that the aircraft be flown at Chautauqua by the US Airways furloughees, in conformity with the Jet for Jobs Agreement, and kept at PSA rates as agreed to between ALPA, US Airways, and Republic Airways Holdings, Inc. The Jet for Jobs breakdown would be as follows:

1) 16 additional aircraft staffed entirely with Chautauqua pilots with Chautauqua pay rates.

2) 16 additional aircraft staffed entirely by US Airways furloughed pilots at PSA rates under the Chautauqua work rules.

Additionally, our Jet for Jobs proposal would not effect or have any impact on the current Chautauqua collective bargaining process.

The Company rejected our proposal, even though it addressed their purported cost concerns. Instead, the Company tendered a counter-proposal on the Jet for Jobs and the Chautauqua Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Company is now attempting to tie a new Chautauqua Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Jet for Jobs Agreement as a precondition for stopping Republic, albeit at current work rules and reduced wage expectations.

Negotiations commenced in Dallas, Texas on March 3rd and 4th. Unfortunately, the Company failed to entertain any serious negotiations. The Company’s global proposal was for the pilots to accept the wage rates contained in the failed TA with no retroactive pay. In other words, the Company was agreeing to pay you wages on what ninety-five percent (95%) of the pilots turned down in July 2001. Additionally, and most importantly, the Company wanted to impose every other provision of the failed TA that the Union and Company had not reached agreement on to date. This includes most of the work rule provisions, including scheduling, hours of service, benefits, PDOs, training, etc., all provisions of any economic impact.

Chautauqua’s Negotiating Committee spent two days in pointless negotiations and the Company would not move from its position. It is quite clear that the Company is not interested in a fair and equitable Collective Bargaining Agreement or keeping jobs for Chautauqua pilots. The Company would not disclose their financial data to the Union, however, the Company continues to turn an increasing profit. Additionally, the Company has gained approximately four million dollars ($4,000,000.00) during the last year and one-half by not increasing the pilots’ wage rates since November 2000. We are guardedly optimistic that we will prevail in the arbitration proceeding scheduled for March 17 and 18, 2003, however, the pilot group must prepare for any and all eventualities.

Within the next several days, you will receive a ratification ballot on the latest Jet for Jobs Agreement. The Agreement has changed since last July, however, it still contains the furlough protection for US Airways furloughees. We would ask all pilots to vote their conscience on this agreement and weigh the countervailing issues of the creation of an alter ego and the enhanced furlough protection. The Executive Council supports ratification of this ballot given the undesirable alternatives. This Agreement has not been approved by the Company, however, if ratified, we will demand its enforcement from Chautauqua Airlines and the parent company as well as ALPA.

In furtherance of our objective to get the very best contract that we can achieve and to keep all flying at Chautauqua, it is time for this pilot group to be heard. We will shortly be issuing “Stop Republic Airlines” stickers and we will move from DEFCON green to DEFCON yellow. We would instruct everyone at this time to replace your green bag tag with the yellow bag tag. We are also formulating plans for informational picketing at Louisville, KY (new Republic Airlines site headquarters) and at Indianapolis, IN (Chautauqua Headquarters). The focus of this picketing will be to stop Republic Airlines and to inform the public of our job security concerns.

We would encourage all pilots to not only show your support by attaching the yellow tags to your bags and displaying the “Stop Republic” stickers, but to participate in informational picketing and to contact your elected and appointed officials with the IBT to voice your support. We will provide updates as the situation dictates.

Hope that helps.

Good luck people!

Fly Safe!

Freedom all over again.

Sounds awfully familiar don't it?

Dudes watch yer back

Watch were you go... all I know is ALPA is very concerned about these non union carriers, and you should be too. fact is, the unions are in place to protect good wages and fair treatment. the subsistant wages off freedom can not be allowed to become the norm.
Not to mention your fellow pilots will not wanna hear that you turned your back on them for poor wages and work rules. As I understand it the unions are calling Non-union jet carrier pilots scabs. That reputation will follow you for the rest of your days, so decide if it is worth it. remember this is a small indusrty and you never know when you wil be challenged for your actions

When I read posts like this one with regards to unions it makes me wonder why I am trying to get into the airlines. In my opinion it seems like being an aviator has nothing to do with flying for an airline. Seems like you learn more of how to be in a soap opera. If thats the case will someone please fill me in so I can get into a good acting school. I dont mean to sound bittter but I wonder what guys who had to take jobs at non union companies to keep food on the table feel like when they read this stuff. I am looking into Skywest, will that be a problem for me if I ever want to transition to an ALPA company in the future. CYA:eek: :eek: :eek:

Really everyone, this is a crock. I dont work for the airlines yet and even I think this is a crock. I have a relative that is very senior with an ALPA carrier and he even says this is crap. For all of the research I have done on Skywest I have consistently heard from Skywest pilots that the only reason they dont have a union is because management has not given them a reason. I would like to hear more comments on this issue. Thanks for the support FlyChicaga!!!!!!!!!! Peace:eek: :eek: :eek:

avratdwc said:
I dont mean to sound bittter but I wonder what guys who had to take jobs at non union companies to keep food on the table feel like when they read this stuff. I am looking into Skywest, will that be a problem for me if I ever want to transition to an ALPA company in the future. CYA:eek: :eek: :eek:

First off, there's no problem with Skywest. All carriers start off without being unionized. Skywest has stayed that way because they're all happy and I say more power too 'em.

The difference with Freedom Air and the proposed Republic Air is that they are being formed specifically to compete against another airline owned by the same parent company. It goes without saying that management wants to pay it's employees a little as possible so if it can it will replace all its flying with these alter-ego carriers. And most importantly the pilots know this. By nature unions protect their own and the whole idea of scab labelling is part of that. These new carriers and union-busters and anyone who flies for them risks ostracization for very good reasons.

You want to know what the real crock is, what I feel is a bigger slap in the face?

We all know about the big arguments/name calling/blacklisting/etc...with regards to Freedom. Most of these arguments came from Mesa guys in the first place. Now if the TA passes, Freedom becomes unionized and is added into the Mesa list and all the yelling has quieted down and a lot has stopped. WTF? I don't give a crap if they become union or not and neither should any of you. The fact remains that management used Freedom and the willingness of those pilots to work/fly in order to bypass Mesa's contract and give themselves incredible leverage in negotiating this TA. The damage is done, and its NOT OK just because those pilots may soon be ALPA and part of the Mesa list. And I'm sorry, I do feel that there is blame to be put on those pilots, and any other pilot that would sacrifice what power the unions had in the industry in order to go fly a jet for sub-standard wages while at the same time helping management steal from the livelyhood of other pilots(mesa flights replaced by freedom ring a bell?) But anyway, Freedom may soon be ALPA so its all good now.

And on to Republic......
Kudos to the CHQ pilots and the Teamsters for fighting this. I read and see that they are taking this to arbitration, have brought the issue into the eye of the public and government(at least in Indiana), and from rumor they are going to begin informational picketing. Meanwhile everyone else seems to be complacent because Republic will be ALPA. Fact is that Republic is being formed in order to again circumvent and destroy the power of a union(CHQ voted down J4J, this is management's way around that vote). But I guess that's alright because afterall they're Teamsters and we're ALPA and it'll be our guys getting those jobs.

So in short its bad if it hurts ALPA, but then it becomes good if it becomes ALPA, and its good if its ALPA and hurts another union.

Just wait, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Republic and Freedom are allowed to get away with this, then all our contracts/union bargaining power are in danger. Soon, Republic and Freedom will spawn Republic 2 or Freedom 2 which will either be non-union or United Aviation Workers or something....and when we go to fight them we'll lose because A PRECEDENT HAS BEEN SET.

Don't ya wish it was as simple as showing up and going flying? I know I do! Teamsters, ALPA, or whatever, our union's need to cooperate with each other.
Guess I'll come back from my dreamworld and watch it all unravel, I can't wait 'till I'm back down to making minimum wage(woo-hoo just like in high school!)

RichardFitzwel9 said:
Just wait, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Republic and Freedom are allowed to get away with this, then all our contracts/union bargaining power are in danger. Soon, Republic and Freedom will spawn Republic 2 or Freedom 2 which will either be non-union or United Aviation Workers or something....and when we go to fight them we'll lose because A PRECEDENT HAS BEEN SET.

I could not have said it better myself! You totally hit the nail on the head.

DO NOT LET THIS UGLY CAT OUT OF THE BAG!

I would like some feedback on this, but from my understanding.

Chq pilots have 3 options.

1. Accept the Jets for Jobs idea. (limits how many a/c can be used)

2. Fight off the Republic airline deal.

3. Fight off both the J4J and the Republic idea.

Now here is my question. If you accept the J4J idea. When the airline begins to recall the furlouged pilots, which they eventually will, do those a/c being used return to mainline CHQ pilots? Next question. IF Republic airline is formed, will the pilots being used there ONLY be furloughed pilots? if not, then accepthing the J4J would be the best idea? I could sure use some imput on these thoughts please
Also:
Before all the layoffs and cutbacks, when did the Major Airlines and Unions EVER care what happened with the commuter pilots? Besides Continetal Express, did any other Major have any kind of "Flow through" aggrement with any Commuter airline?

It seems that ALPA only cares about the Major Airline Pilots. Now that so many of them are on the streets, now they expect the commuter airlines to help them out. I would consider some kind of aggreement with the j4j proposition ONLY if it also contained wording that would create a solid flow-through program to the Major airline once the economy improves and all furloughed pilots are recalled.

J4J is perhaps not totally a bad idea. It might be possible to use it as a bit of leverage for improving the contracts and future flying for commuter pilots.

Latest resources

Back