Chautauqua and Non-uninons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skygirls

Just a few questions for those who are interested. I have an upcoming interview with Chautauqua and have been reading the information posted about "Republic Airways." I don't understand how anyone could call a pilot a "scab" because they work for Chautauqua when Chat. is unionized? If Republic is formed how will this effect Chautauqua pilots and will they be given a bad name in the industry even though they are not flying for Republic Airways?

Thanks ahead of time!!:confused:

It will be in everyone's interest if Republic does not begin. It is still being fought over.

And no, it will not make you look bad working for them. What it may do is keep you from moving up with much speed.

I would like some feedback on this, but from my understanding.

Chq pilots have 3 options.

1. Accept the Jets for Jobs idea. (limits how many a/c can be used)

2. Fight off the Republic airline deal.

3. Fight off both the J4J and the Republic idea.

Now here is my question. If you accept the J4J idea. When the airline begins to recall the furlouged pilots, which they eventually will, do those a/c being used return to mainline CHQ pilots? Next question. IF Republic airline is formed, will the pilots being used there ONLY be furloughed pilots? if not, then accepthing the J4J would be the best idea? I could sure use some imput on these thoughts please

One more thing to add.

Before all the layoffs and cutbacks, when did the Major Airlines and Unions EVER care what happened with the commuters? besides Continetal Express did any other Major have any kind of "Flow through" aggrement with any Commuter airline?

It seems that ALPA only cares about the Major Airline Pilots. Now that so many of them are on the streets, now they expect the commuter airlines to help them out. I would consider some kind of aggreement with the j4j proposition ONLY if it also contained wording that would create a solid flow-through program to the Major airline once the economy improves and all furloughed pilots are recalled.

J4J is perhaps not totally a bad idea. It might be possible to use it as a bit of leverage for improving the contracts and future flying for commuter pilots.

It is my understanding that if Republic is formed, it will be staffed by furloughed US pilots only. Correct me if I am wrong.

That is Correct. It will be staffed only by US Airways Furloughed Pilots...

I think what the US Airways Furloughed Pilots will be doing by accepting jobs with Republic is CREATING A NEW KIND OF SCAB PILOT.

Yes, i said it... These Pilots are a new ugly breed of SCABS!!!!!!!!

BE90CPT said:
That is Correct. It will be staffed only by US Airways Furloughed Pilots...

I think what the US Airways Furloughed Pilots will be doing by accepting jobs with Republic is CREATING A NEW KIND OF SCAB PILOT.

Yes, i said it... These Pilots are a new ugly breed of SCABS!!!!!!!!

Simmer Down. Before you start calling the furloughed Mainline guys scabs let me through this out to ya.

EVERY ROUTE that an RJ is on right now was a mainline route that has been given to the contract carriers that operate jets. ALL FUTURE RJ routes will have been mainline routes that these guys used to fly before it was outsourced to contract carriers and they were furloughed.

The contract carriers are enjoying growth at the US AIRWAYS GROUP expense. I say let them staff republic with the furloughed guys, its THIER FLYING TO BEGIN WITH.

OK, let's say the routes were US Airways mainline routes. That's true, but US Airways chose to remove those routes from mainline. Why, because they could not operate them profitably. If you own a business with several locations and one is not profitable you get rid of it. You don't later come back and say, hey, that's my business.
Keep the routes in the company. That is good business sence. Taking a job that undercuts the company ALREADY servicing those routes just because ALPA say's you can does not make it OK. It makes you no better than a SCAB!!!!! it's all predetory behavior... you know it comming in, its no big suprise. JUST SAY NO!!!!!

FlyChicaga said:
I agree they aren't scabs... however, they are undercutting the industry by taking a 1000% pay cut (however much it really is) to fly the same routes they used to be making six figures on. How is it that these pilots went from six figure major airline pilots to regional pilots who are undercutting another regional?

Everything going on with the J4J deal and Mesa is absoutely astounding to me. I mean, the airline history has been burned by many things (Frank Lorenzo is the first thing that pops to my mind, among others), but to have pilots undercutting pilots for flight time is amazing. Self respect anyone?

We all expect in our careers that you need to work your way up. I know I do... there is a long road ahead. You do what it takes to move up to bigger and better every day. Even at your own company... making it profitable to get larger planes, more planes, more routes, etc. Now though it seems like a lot of pilots are working themselves into a career bell curve...

however, they are undercutting the industry by taking a 1000% pay cut (however much it really is) to fly the same routes they used to be making six figures on.

It's a viciuos cycle. Remember that contract carriers have undercut the mainline pilots pilots for years. Thats one of the many reasons they are on the street right now and we are not. I guess what comes around really does go around.

How is it that these pilots went from six figure major airline pilots to regional pilots who are undercutting another regional?

Because Mgt found a way to bring costs down. Furlough the people who are making a good living and give their work to someone else(contract carriers), then make them fight for their jobs with the contract carriers.

but to have pilots undercutting pilots for flight time is amazing. Self respect anyone?

This is why there NEVER should have been any kind of contracting. All flying, from a 1900 to A330 should have been done by ONE PILOT GROUP and ONE COMPANY.

Boredtodeath said:
"All flying, from a 1900 to A330 should have been done by ONE PILOT GROUP and ONE COMPANY."

Which begs the question:

Why is it not?

The answer may surprise you.

BoredToDeath said:
Simmer Down. Before you start calling the furloughed Mainline guys scabs let me through this out to ya.

EVERY ROUTE that an RJ is on right now was a mainline route that has been given to the contract carriers that operate jets. ALL FUTURE RJ routes will have been mainline routes that these guys used to fly before it was outsourced to contract carriers and they were furloughed.

The contract carriers are enjoying growth at the US AIRWAYS GROUP expense. I say let them staff republic with the furloughed guys, its THIER FLYING TO BEGIN WITH.

Not a true statement. I agree, however, that several former mainline routes are now flown by smaller equipment, DO-328's included.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back