Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"changes immediately" in pilot screening!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would be happy if they stopped making us take our laptops out, that makes no sense. It looks like a laptop in the bag or out of the bag when it go's through the x-ray, the process just holds things up when you have to re-pack it back in your bag...In the Middle East and Asia, if you are a crew memeber in uniform, you don't have to unpack it at all, makes too much sense, they don't seem to think pilots are a threat, why does our gov't???

Its not about eliminating risk.. its about assuming authority. They eliminate crews as authorities by treating them like all the passengers and then the gubment experts fill the void because somebody has to be the expert authority on how to have a safe aviation environment, and it sure as heck ain't gonna be no simpleton crew member when there is money to be made.

Now of course the new "experts" have the standing to institute ridiculous "safety measures" that enhance a business of over a billion dollars of contracts.

If I were a businessman I would start to push the next safety measure (that also helps offer trusted passengers a bit of privacy) by offering something innovative like a RFID Card with biometric (fingerprint) verification.

Been to Disney World lately?

Way to pile on, Lear.

You shouldn't be a mod.
I'm surprised; you've been here long enough to have picked up on the joke, but clearly you've missed the majority of the (endless) debates we've had with YIP over the college degree...

It wasn't "piling on", it's called "friendly banter"; I'm sure YIP got it (which was the point, really), so don't worry about it. ;)

p.s. Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I cease to have a sense of humor or give up the right to join in on a discussion, especially a (semi) private joke. That's a common misconception of the general FI populace.

Thanks for your input, however. If you still are offended by me joining in on the conversation, you're welcome to email the website owner at [email protected]

Enjoy your evening,

I won't let you on my jumpseat without a college degree.
It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college-educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with FedEx, then that prospective pilot should go to college. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do. My advice is go to school part time or community college and fly, pilots get hired because they have flight time. Flt time moves you up the food chain to better jobs; the degree is not needed until the last step. You can go to school part time with a full time flying job, you cannot build real flight time while going to school full time. I have seen non-degreed guys go to the Nationals in their mid-20’s. Just in case someone missed this a long time ago. With the coming 2012 hiring boom, the college degree will lose importance as screening tool for many flying jobs.

It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college-educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with FedEx, then that prospective pilot should go to college. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do. My advice is go to school part time or community college and fly, pilots get hired because they have flight time. Flt time moves you up the food chain to better jobs; the degree is not needed until the last step. You can go to school part time with a full time flying job, you cannot build real flight time while going to school full time. I have seen non-degreed guys go to the Nationals in their mid-20’s. Just in case someone missed this a long time ago. With the coming 2012 hiring boom, the college degree will lose importance as screening tool for many flying jobs.

"hiring boom" you say.........that's funny!!

No such thing. Never has been, never will be. During every hiring boom there are thousands of qualified applicants that don't have the connections to get an interview. "Hiring boom" is relative.

Furloughs are always just around the corner. I cursory examination of the staffing levels at most majors would reveal that no hiring boom has actually taken place in the better part of two decades in this business. The furlough booms on the other hand have been the real story. Look at the numbers.

A college degree will still be required at the largest carriers no matter what's happening further down the food chain. There has never been a shortage of degree carrying high time applicants at DAL, SWA, CAL, UAL, FDX, UPS.....that will not change in 2012. Want to work at one of those carriers? Get the friggin paper....otherwise there are other good jobs available but you're not going to see major's change their hiring practices. They don't need to and I doubt they will going forward.

Heeeere we go again... LOLOL :D

p.s. The "shortage" isn't coming in 2012, although there will be a definite up-tick in hiring. The bigger "shortage" is coming about 2015-2017 when the Age 65 retirements really pick up steam AND there's been a few years to "clean out" the Regional Captains, although I agree that there will never be a TRUE "shortage", just a lack of people with as much time as various H.R. departments would prefer.

For Citrus pilots,

Sure you wanna come to SWA? Mgnt just told us NO on crew pass because it costs too much and the FA's don't get to do it! Our group probably just got a little bit more militant. Good job SWA (and FA union).

shootr

How much does it cost them if you guys do everything exactly by the book and cut taxi speeds in half. Probably more than the $50/pilot a year that Crewpass costs.

No such thing. Never has been, never will be. During every hiring boom there are thousands of qualified applicants that don't have the connections to get an interview. "Hiring boom" is relative.

Furloughs are always just around the corner. I cursory examination of the staffing levels at most majors would reveal that no hiring boom has actually taken place in the better part of two decades in this business. The furlough booms on the other hand have been the real story. Look at the numbers.

A college degree will still be required at the largest carriers no matter what's happening further down the food chain. There has never been a shortage of degree carrying high time applicants at DAL, SWA, CAL, UAL, FDX, UPS.....that will not change in 2012. Want to work at one of those carriers? Get the friggin paper....otherwise there are other good jobs available but you're not going to see major's change their hiring practices. They don't need to and I doubt they will going forward.

Apparently, you didn't read pilotyip's post.

Wrong on two counts, the hiring boom has already started, being a bottom feeder, we are seeing turnover much higher than in the past two years, and we are not seeing the same number of higher time applicants applying for jobs. Secondly as far SWA goes, we have seen non-degreed pilots hired there in the last two years, just great guys. Plus with the AT come along, there will be a lot more non-degreed pilots. In past I have seen non-degreed guys go to UAL, NWA, SWA, JB, AT, Spirit, VA, would those be considered second level carriers? A degee as you say is a piece of paper you get a many places for paying your fee to get your "B", has nothing to do with flying an airplane.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back