Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"changes immediately" in pilot screening!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would be happy if they stopped making us take our laptops out, that makes no sense. It looks like a laptop in the bag or out of the bag when it go's through the x-ray, the process just holds things up when you have to re-pack it back in your bag...In the Middle East and Asia, if you are a crew memeber in uniform, you don't have to unpack it at all, makes too much sense, they don't seem to think pilots are a threat, why does our gov't???

I don't, for a minute, think Pistole actually believes this spew - especially since so many of us are "radicalized" veterans (according to his boss). The ONLY reason this change came about is to quell the most vocal, credible and influential opponents.

I'm happy about the "change" but it doesn't address the concerns I have about traveling with my wife and daughter. Hence, back to my previous notion to drive or take the train.

I think this is 100% correct.

The TSA was seeing strong opposition on ALL fronts and my guess is they figured, better to lose a battle with the group with one of the strongest arguments and the most organized, rather than lose the war.

Still lots to be played out on the "enhanced pat-down" issue though.

If you believe what's on the television, not many citizens think it's kosher. Even the Weather Channel had blurbs about how they wouldn't let their wives /kids be subjected to it etc.

Don't forget to thank the person who started this all. Michael Roberts is currently on unpaid leave and without health insurance while supporting a family. Many pilots have already contributed a donation to assist him during these hard times. If you would like to do so, check the regional section.

the last time the govenrment said "immediately", they said "a unified Korea will come to the Korean peninsula, immediately after the war". Still waiting on that one.

I don't, for a minute, think Pistole actually believes this spew - especially since so many of us are "radicalized" veterans (according to his boss). The ONLY reason this change came about is to quell the most vocal, credible and influential opponents.

I'm happy about the "change" but it doesn't address the concerns I have about traveling with my wife and daughter. Hence, back to my previous notion to drive or take the train.
Absolutely right! But this is the way it works in ANY bureaucracy. You can point out that the sun rises in the morning and if it in their policy that it doesn't, then no one will change their view through logic.

The TSA Administrator's comment "Given that a pilot is entrusted to operate an airplane and assume responsibility for passenger safety, “why do we have the screening for them?” he asked." has ALWAYS been true.

What made the difference this time is that they were 1) shamed into admitting this truth and 2) made to realize they would lose money if the didn't admit to this truth (pax see 100K pilots not use AIT, then pax don't use AIT; have to hire more agents).

And these are the ONLY two things that move any bureacracy in the end. Airlines (or any company) could care less about, for instance, not getting their pilots rest. But get a couple of accidents because of lack of rest, then the shame (congressional investigation, stories from families) and loss of revenue may make them change.

Nothing changes without one of these two.

For Citrus pilots,

Sure you wanna come to SWA? Mgnt just told us NO on crew pass because it costs too much and the FA's don't get to do it! Our group probably just got a little bit more militant. Good job SWA (and FA union).

shootr

Why do we need to wait for crewpass. Sign me up for the same program that the rampers and gate agents have. If its good enough for them....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back