Champion Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

737Runner

So what is QOL like if you live in base? What is the Junior Base, (any chance of getting DTW as a newhire)? What are the schedules like (Reserve and Lineholder)?

Last edited:
737Runner said:
So what is QOL like if you live in base? What is the Junior Base, (any chance of getting DTW as a newhire)? What are the schedules like (Reserve and Lineholder)?

I had the same questions. If you do a search there is plenty of info on Champion. Mostly negative though.

This is how good its at Champion, a Champion Captain walked over to an Allegiant aircraft parked next to his in Cancun and was looking for a job.

Champion Air ??

I too wolud like to know about Champion. I got a call this morning for a possible F/E slot. Apparently everyone starts in the F/E seat. Any idea how long before upgrade??

Got a email, then a phone interview. Any news on this FE position and quality of life PLEASE advise.

I and others have hashed over this topic quite a few times on here... A search proves pretty useful... But hey, I can type it all over again...

Reserve is usually 6 on 1 off and 24 hours on at a crack. We have a 65 hour guarentee. Minimum days are are 10. Line holders vary from minimum to 19 days off. Starting pay is sitting at 32.60~ish for an FE. All new hires start off at FE. Domiciles are currently DTW, MSP, STL, and LAS. DFW will be openning as a base in January 2007, however, I highly doubt newhires will be awared that base as we have, I'm guessing, enough people who live there to fill the base.

Training is is MSP and is roughly 8 weeks. It is unpaid but you will receive per diem the entire time you're under the training department (through your signoff from IOE). Per diem is 1.50/hr or $36 / day. If you live within 50 NM of MSP, you will not get a hotel during training but you'll be paid $50 a day instead. You are not allowed to leave during ground school, as you go 6 on 1 off. Once you hit CPT's, and you've got 2 or more days off, they positive space you home on NW. No jumpseating until you've completed sims.

Upgrade varies... I had a guy in my newhire class that upgraded right off of the bat to FO. But you better want to go to DTW though. Otherwise upgrade, depending on the base you want to upgrade into is running from one year to 6 years (MSP). Captain upgrades is sitting at 7+ years, from what I've seen.

As far as QOL, I live in base and I'm lovin' life. I've heard that commuters really don't like things too much because we are not CASS approved. So that makes things difficult. Plan on DH'ing more than you've ever done in your life. DH pay is 1/2 credit, by the way.

70% of our flying is for MLT Vacations. Remainder is DoD, DoE, and NBA / Nascar / White House Press Corps charters. No new aircraft for the the near future.

If you have any other questions, PM me and I'll help ya out the best I can.

Last edited:
Champ

Well, I turned down the offer. It was just to long away from home, too long to upgrade and too little $money$. I would of seriously considered it a few years ago, but too many good things happening now.:pimp:

Thanks for the info STIFF!

Workin'Stiff said:
I and others have hashed over this topic quite a few times on here... A search proves pretty useful... But hey, I can type it all over again...

Reserve is usually 6 on 1 off and 24 hours on at a crack. We have a 65 hour guarentee. Minimum days are are 10. Line holders vary from minimum to 19 days off. Starting pay is sitting at 32.60~ish for an FE. All new hires start off at FE. Domiciles are currently DTW, MSP, STL, and LAS. DFW will be openning as a base in January 2007, however, I highly doubt newhires will be awared that base as we have, I'm guessing, enough people who live there to fill the base.

Training is is MSP and is roughly 8 weeks. It is unpaid but you will receive per diem the entire time you're under the training department (through your signoff from IOE). Per diem is 1.50/hr or $36 / day. If you live within 50 NM of MSP, you will not get a hotel during training but you'll be paid $50 a day instead. You are not allowed to leave during ground school, as you go 6 on 1 off. Once you hit CPT's, and you've got 2 or more days off, they positive space you home on NW. No jumpseating until you've completed sims.

Upgrade varies... I had a guy in my newhire class that upgraded right off of the bat to FO. But you better want to go to DTW though. Otherwise upgrade, depending on the base you want to upgrade into is running from one year to 6 years (MSP). Captain upgrades is sitting at 7+ years, from what I've seen.

As far as QOL, I live in base and I'm lovin' life. I've heard that commuters really don't like things too much because we are not CASS approved. So that makes things difficult. Plan on DH'ing more than you've ever done in your life. DH pay is 1/2 credit, by the way.

70% of our flying is for MLT Vacations. Remainder is DoD, DoE, and NBA / Nascar / White House Press Corps charters. No new aircraft for the the near future.

If you have any other questions, PM me and I'll help ya out the best I can.

Are the 727s pretty well maintained? What about up front - do you have FMS, EFIS like UPS aircraft? I always wanted to fly a 727 - a classic aircraft.

On Your Six said:
Are the 727s pretty well maintained? What about up front - do you have FMS, EFIS like UPS aircraft? I always wanted to fly a 727 - a classic aircraft.

When I was there, the aircraft were well maintained. No FMS, they do have GPS though and you can couple the autopilot up to that. The 727 is a fun airplane to fly and I am glad I got the chance to fly it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back