Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
I'm trying to compare how many hours CFIs fly at some of the larger schools. I got very nice responses from each of the schools-escept Comair Academy. The marketer there insisted that these number are confidential and that I could get them by calling the FSDO.

anyway, if ya'll have info to ad, I'd appreciate it.

what I got: Hours/mo students per CFI

Flight Safety 50 3

ATP 100 2
Westwind 100 4-5
UND 80 1-6
PanAm 80 3
ERAU 100 3
Sierra 85 6
UVSC 30 3

Hours and student workload

The hours sound about right for ERAU. I flew about 900 hours my first year. Three students? Surely, you jest. I just opened my logbook from that time to a page at random and counted 13 names in a five-day period (and I remember every last one of those students to this day!). This was thirteen years ago, though, during that boom.

FlightSafety sounds accurate, too, but I might have had four to eight students at a time; two or three Alitalia crews of two and one or two self-pay students. The bad deal about FSI was no flying when your students had ground school.

At Mesa I logged 125 hours my first month. It was too much, really. I had something like seven students plus the occasional ATP pay-for-interview student.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I teach for the St. Cloud State University contract flight school in Minnesota (the affordable alternative to UND), and I typically fly 50-75 hours a month depending on whether or not school is in session. My student load varies between 13-21 students. Not easy to get a job here either anymore. We are part 61 so 7 students doesn't cut it unfortunately. Ends up being around 650 hours a year when summer slows down and alot of one on one ground instruction.

The hours at FSI are about right. The hours and student load may, in fact, be a bit high. Hopefully, we have hit the low point. Couple of months ago people were carrying 1-2 students and 30 hours/month.

It varies wildly. In April I flew 110 hours and in November I flew 18 (an all-time low). Nobody there will see 110 hours/month for a long time to come. About 112 instructors there and they need to shave that number to 60. People are slowly getting hired away, so things will improve....as long as they don't hire anyone in their pool any time soon! Currently they have a limit of 3 instructors per student. No more than that. Guess they are trying to equal the load.

Your hours go up if you have your MEI, 'cause most of their training is done in the Seminole/Seneca. Also, if you get a contract with Asiana or Swiss then you will probably get more like 60-80. Likewise if you can give checkrides.

Westwind hours sound a bit high. I don't think that is an 'average' for the instructor base there. Maybe a year or two ago, but not now. Someone who works there care to comment?

I cannot believe Comair said what they did. What a crock.

UND is about right. We get 6-8 students per semester full time and 1-2 students if you are part time.

Not to change the subject, but...

I enjoy working at a smaller FBO type school. Pilot's Choice Aviation in Georgetown TX, just north of Austin. We have 20 airplanes. Mostly Tomahawks and Warriors/Archers, 3 Duchessses (Duchi?), a Bonanza A-36, a Saratoga, and a Baron 58.

We have 7 instructors and we fly anywhere from 70-100 hours a month with about 8-10 students per instructor. Our students range from college kids who are in it for the career but can't fly enough at their university to doctors who need checked out in their Bonanza. The thing I like is the variety and networking. I may spend one session teaching a high school student how to land and the next session doing ILSs with an airline pilot who wants checked out in the Duchess. We are Part 141 and VA approved, so we get a lot of military pilots who want checked out in a Duchess or helo pilots who want their fixed wing. In general, there is more networking than at a school where all you teach are the next crop of freshmen.

Hey, it doesn't matter where you instruct at. Networking is networking. As for the next crop of freshman, well that may be correct here at UND. But in the last few months, I have also networked with 3 747 capt's, 2 fo's on 757's, the capt and fo of a A320, the crew of a 727, Eddie Belfour (Goalie) :), and numerous others from anthing from Piper, to Beech, to Cirrus. These are people who have just stopped in to say hi at UND. So your right, I may only get "Freshman" as students, but so far I have also given out 8-9 Resume's in the last month of people who just stop by and I was able to talk to. This is the way that a lot of the bigger schools are. Its just like Chevy and Ford, which is better, and no, don't start fighting over this on this thread :) Each man to his own, just be happy at what you. Aviation is awesome, and whether someone comes from part 61 school or 141 University, we are all in this together. Something may come from it, something may not, but either way my name is out there and am glad I am where I am. AND, maybe a little biased... :)

FSI

northmountain said:
Bobbysamd,
It has changed re: groundschool. FSI allows students to fly when in groundschool.
Thanks for the update. Another positive change for the place since I was there in 1991-'92.

BTW, you have an excellent Center Director in Mr. Skovgard.

Latest resources

Back