cfi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjfo

what is a practical amount of time and money to obtain your cfi? I am in southern california, and have about 3 days a week i can put toward flying.
thanks

As far as money goes that would depend on the aircraft you are flying and just how much time you need. If I had to guess I would say 4K. As for time...Three days a week is great!! As long as you can stick to that schedule. As long as you meet with your CFI at least 3 times a week you will be good...if you can also fly 3 times a week and discuss 1 or 2 times a week you will be golden and it should only take you a few months on that schedule. Just keep in mind you will be doing alot of work away from the airport with FOI studying. Good luck and have fun! Flight instructing is some of the best flying you can ever do...plus it's incredibly fun and rewarding!

I think it depends on a few factors, one of which is "where" (flight school) you are going to do this and how many hours you will end up flying the aircraft. I think the above seems a little high although I have had mine for over two years and went to Airman Flight School (OUN) to obtain both the I as well as the II and the price was "set" no matter how many hours you put on the airplane or how much time you spent on the ground with the instructors...

I would assume doing this part 61 you should be able to take the check ride between 8-10 hours or so + the instructors fee + books and a few other things I would guess $1000 would be the low end and $1500 would be the high end..

just a "guess"

cheers

3 5 0

CFI training schedule

Three days a week of flying and/or meeting with your instructor should be fine. Aside from that time, you still need to spend as much time as possible doing homework, i.e. studying and preparing. Putting in only three days a week out of seven toward the entire effort is not enough. It will be hard to maintain continuity and will take you longer in the long run.

The required flight time will depend very much on how quickly you transition from left seat to right. 350's 8-10 hour estimate seems a bit optimistic. I think that fifteen hours is more realistic. Some CFI courses have twenty hours of flying built in. Usually, hadn and foot coordination transfers pretty well. Landings from the right seat are strange at first. You also should receive some hood work from the right seat so you adjust to the different perspective.

Good luck with your training.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back