CFI Renewal for 121 Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IFLYASA

I've been told at my airline that Captains can renew their CFI at the FSDO through our POI. My CFI expires this month, and it's like pulling teeth to get in touch someone at the FSDO to do this. As a secondary precaution, what online courses would you recommend if I have no luck through the FSDO?

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!:D

It all depends on your POI. We had a decent one in Chicago and he used to renew our CFIs . Dont waste any time though if you cannot get in touch with him.

I just renewed mine with the Gliem online course. I found it better than American flyers as you do not have to log a certain amount of time on each lesson. I got mine done in 2 days and took it to the FSDO on the third.

Good luck and dont let your CFI expire!

Thanks Bertie

How long per day did you spend on the lesson plans? I saw the website and it showed 16 plans to complete. Seems like I remeber Gleim offering lifetime renewal with the purchase. Is this still true?

CFI Renewal

Keep trying with your POI--if he doesen't respond talk to his boss. There in something in the FARs that lets them do an automatic renewal. I did this for 12 years when I was flying 121.

The SLC FSDO lets you take a short 25 question quiz to renew you on the spot. You can miss the same number as on any FAA test so it's really pretty easy. Basics of aerodynamics, instructing, etc. My guess is that the same is available elsewhere

The plus to American flyers is that you pay $100.00 once for a lifetime renewal. If you do it through Gleim you have to pay 100.00 each time you renew. Or if you can get it done through your employer on a check ride good on ya.

I asked our ASA POI this very question. Jim King said he would renew our CFI certs because in his words, "If your not teaching every flight your not doing your job as Captain". I did American Flyers before I upgraded on the jet- All the best. Wil

Usually, I just walk into the Flight Standards office, show them my records and fill out the application for renewal.

The American Flyers program was pretty easy. They do require you to "look" at each lesson for a given amount of time. You can just page to the end of the lesson, surf the internet for an hour, and then answer the questions, which aren't bad at all if you're on your game.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back