Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Anyone ever have a student go off flying solo without a endorsemet after giving them training. I've been flying with a guy who has about 70 hours and owns his own Cessna 150. We've flown about 10 hours (not in his airplane). He shared with me last week that he had flown the 150 on a few very long cross country trips solo without his CFI's knowing about a year ago. Should I kick this guy to the curb? Have I put myself at risk career wise flying with him. I have NOT given him any endorsements and dont plan on it now, but he does have about 10 hours dual from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve

if that was my student I would go directly to the fsdo. not only is he in utter disregard of the rules but he flagrantly waived it in front of your face. What a cocky prick.

I say boot him.

If he did it to some other instructor, what's to say he's not going to do the same to you when he feels a little more comfortable in the airplane. Kick him to the curb immediately.

Steve said:
Anyone ever have a student go off flying solo without a endorsemet after giving them training. I've been flying with a guy who has about 70 hours and owns his own Cessna 150. We've flown about 10 hours (not in his airplane). He shared with me last week that he had flown the 150 on a few very long cross country trips solo without his CFI's knowing about a year ago. Should I kick this guy to the curb? Have I put myself at risk career wise flying with him. I have NOT given him any endorsements and dont plan on it now, but he does have about 10 hours dual from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve

I do not think you are at any risk, but you need to consider giving this guy the boot. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't fly with him. How could you ever endorse this guy for anything after he told you something like that?

Good luck

Grove

Why would anybody with 70 hrs need a flight instructor to fly cross country? Don't you get a private license with 40 hrs and fly anywhere you want?

bubbers44 said:
Why would anybody with 70 hrs need a flight instructor to fly cross country? Don't you get a private license with 40 hrs and fly anywhere you want?

Thats the MINIMUM required time to qualify for a PPL,you still would need to pass the written test and the oral/practical test, apparently this guy hasn't taken the written or practical test yet to get his PPL from my understanding of the original post..

Pantherjon said:
Thats the MINIMUM required time to qualify for a PPL,you still would need to pass the written test and the oral/practical test, apparently this guy hasn't taken the written or practical test yet to get his PPL from my understanding of the original post..

Considering the profile of the person who wrote that, i'm assuming there was sarcasm implied.

I have known a couple of "professional students" over the years. The first one I met before I had a CFI. He had almost 200 hours, but had never been legally soloed. He always wanted somebody with a private ticket to ride with him. I found out later, He was getting his confidence up then taking off by himself and with passengers, when he wanted to. I thought this was VERY bad for me because if anything ever happened, somebody would say I was giving him instruction. Then I would have to hire a lawyer, etc....

The second one had a Private SEL, but no Instrument rating. He trained for it a lot, but could never seem to get signed off for it. I worked with him for quite a while until one day I heard him in his airplane, IFR, IMC, on a clearance, in the same airspace with me. I found out that he was filing and flying on his own. He would just turn on the Autopilot. What's even worse, a couple of years later, he called me to go to APA and pickup a Seneca that he had bought. I did something dumb. I didn't ask if he had a MEL yet. When I delivered the airplane, he asked me if I would give him dual in it. That's when I found out he still didn't have even an Instrument ticket. I considered this a serious as an ambulance with slick tires in the winter.

Needless to say, I did the hot potato trick with both of them. I don't know if you should report your guy or not, but I think you would be better off being to busy to fly with him again.

You don't have a problem (liability wise) - but I agree with the other posters - decline to fly with him further. If he doesn't have all 5 of the hazardous attitudes already he's well on the way to starting his collection.....

Tug Driver said:
if that was my student I would go directly to the fsdo. not only is he in utter disregard of the rules but he flagrantly waived it in front of your face. What a cocky prick.

I say boot him.

Firkin Rat!!!!!!, Yea, go to the fsdo they will revoke any future certificates and then he will be flying with out then.... How about go to the local safety councilor or talk with the guy and let him know that its unsafe and a far violation maybe talk some sense in to the poor fool but don’t be a firkin rat!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back