Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Catbert

I hate Teterboro
I'm an experienced instructor with over 1000 TT and 700 hours dual given. I'm also about tired of the BS at my current school. I'm looking for a GOOD school with GOOD policies, GOOD management, and HAPPY CFI's that turn out happy pilots in REASONABLE amounts of time. (can you guess what aspects of my job I'm unhappy with?)

What are some recommended schools in Houston and the surrounding area? Shady operations and mis-managed train wrecks aren't an option.

Last edited:
Looks like someone answered your request (Robert Watts - above post). I trained at UFS (@DWH) back in 1998. Good place, good work ethic (from wat I remember. Worth a shot.

I know NOTHING about this place but found it on AOPA's website. It was posted a month ago though, but you might still want to give it a try. Good luck!

MVP Aero Academy, Inc.
21904 Hempstead Hwy
Houston TX 77429

Phone 281-469-3009
Fax 281-469-1421
e-mail [email protected]
Web site http://www.mvpaeroacademy.com
Summary: Busy 141 and 61 Flight School in the Houston, TX area is looking for a fulltime flight instructor. Experience preferred but not required. Flight instructors with lots of energy and a "can do" attitude, please email or fax resume to MVP Aero Academy.

Run far, far away from MVP. They are the biggest bunch of slave driving fools I have ever seen. They consistently break FAR's and recently have the FAA all over them about flying an airplane that had a prop strike the day before. The FBI was there two weeks ago investigating their students. They have had numerous news reports in Houston about how many accidents they have had over the last 6 years. They had a fatality last May and almost had to shut the doors because nobody would give them insurance. The only thing that keeps them in business is the 15 or so Sri Lankans and Indians that they drag over here and drain them of every penny they have. Do not do this to yourself.

Thanks so far, everybody.

PilotB said:
Run far, far away from MVP.
That's just the kind of info I'm looking for.

So the question remains: any place in the area that has its sh*t together? Quality instruction, competent mgmt, etc.

Last edited:
I flew for King Aviation (now known as Ascent Aviation I believe?) located in La Porte which is just south of Houston. He runs an average flight school but it is fairly slow from what I know of right now. I flew for Mike for 2 months in Dec/Jan as a relay pilot for offshore helo's and we flew the planes into the ground - the 4 or 5 aircraft we flew probably avg. around 200/hrs a month back then and so they weren't in the best of shape but I know that he has gotten around to fixing most of the problems that I know of. Might want to check him out...

And FYI I heard bad things about Aero as well.

Houston Flight Schools

I worked at both MVP and United Flight Systems. I really urge you to stay far far far away from MVP as they're very shady. United on the other hand I was really happy with. They are completely top notch! Great CFI group, great moral, great policy/procedure, excellent mx, lots of business....and pretty good pay for a CFI. Just talked to Laura Watts yesterday while on layover here in MI and they just lost 3 instructors to Express Jet and I think one or two more have interviews. Laura asked if I could recommend anyone, so if you're interested PM me. They're really hurting for CFI's!! Good Luck!

BCL

Feel free to contact me via pm -- I am with United Flight Systems --

thanks

Latest resources

Back