CFI Interview questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

troy

I have a CFI interview soon. My question is should I be proactive and tell them that I have a felony on my record up front or should I wait until they ask me/I am asked on the application?

Felony???? Big deal, they just want to know that you're gonna sit around for 12 hours and get paid for 4 at $10 an hour while they charge the student $45...they don't care 'bout no stinkin' felony.

The above statement is in jest...if it had been an actual statement, you would have been instructed to seek shelter and await further instructions...this is only in jest...we now return you to your regularly scheduled deluge of insults.

Seriously, dude...what do you think? A felony DUI is different than 1st degree murder - I think you need to fess up like now.

Whats the felony for?

Soem flight schools don't even ask about stuff likethat or even have a formal application to fill out. Just a handshake and a checkout in all thier A/C.

I don't think they'd care much anyway, but in terms of getting hired by an airline, well thats a differnt story.

I know that the airline gig is not available to me forever, don't care about going there anyway....

The felony is "possession of a firearm by a person previously conviced of (misdemeanor) domestic violence" Years ago, my ex wife and I got into a fight and I got this on my record. Move forward a number of years when she finally leaves me, and called the ATF because I had a couple of hunting firearms in the house. The worst thing is that I didn't even knew that the law existed!! But since ignorance is not an excuse, I took a plea and here I am. I must face the consquences of my actions, but was wondering if I should tell them up front or only if asked.

I'm alomst sure you could get an instructing job at a lot of places and the felony thing, well if its been 10 yrs prior to an airline application, you might be able to leave it off. The FBI check is 10 years and the application asks whether you have been convicted of a felony WITHIN the past 10 years.

As far as other operations, 135 and such, I'm willing to bet you could get work there too.

But going back to the original question, I wouldnt volunteer any information that isnt asked for during a CFI interview. I know I wasn't asked of any. BTW, a lot of ppl have been arrested for silly things and understand. The chief pilot or who ever does the hiring may have had some tangles with the law when they were younger and less wiser.

Anyway, for most CFI jobs they dont do background checks, unless at a large school like FSI.

Thanks for the info, I think that is what I will do, only say what is required or if asked. It's only been 5 years, so I'll have some time to wait. Only if I could change the past.....

I know that I'm probably making too much out of this job, just want to do the correct thing and get some opinions

troy said:
I know that the airline gig is not available to me forever, don't care about going there anyway....

The felony is "possession of a firearm by a person previously conviced of (misdemeanor) domestic violence" Years ago, my ex wife and I got into a fight and I got this on my record. Move forward a number of years when she finally leaves me, and called the ATF because I had a couple of hunting firearms in the house. The worst thing is that I didn't even knew that the law existed!! But since ignorance is not an excuse, I took a plea and here I am. I must face the consquences of my actions, but was wondering if I should tell them up front or only if asked.

That sucks! So what happens if you decide to drop out of the so called “civilized society” and decide to hunt for your primary food source! I know myself; I prefer wild elk or deer over icky tainted beef any day! I bet you could fight any further charges that by taking away your firearms you will not be able to eat and are depriving you of your life & liberty! You could start your own religion that requires that the only meet you can eat is wild game! It works for the puppy & kitten eaters in this country!

Latest resources

Back