• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI Currency and PIC (as instructor)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There needs to be an instructor logbook with 'student landings' in it, and 'practice approaches'.

I'd hate to go to court after someone I flew with messed up a landing, and with my logbook in hand show the judge 0 logged landings, or 0 approaches with an instrument student in a predicament.

There isn't enough room in the comments and endorsements column, no matter how small you can write.

BTW - I never logged landing when I started flying in the UK - if you depart and airport, and arrive somewhere it's assumed you took-off and landed - however did log the departure time, and arrival time (block to block).

NoPax said:
There needs to be an instructor logbook with 'student landings' in it, and 'practice approaches'.

I'd hate to go to court after someone I flew with messed up a landing, and with my logbook in hand show the judge 0 logged landings, or 0 approaches with an instrument student in a predicament.
There is, of course, the =student's= logbook.

You're right, though. I wouldn't be worried about those zeros since the rules say I'm not supposed to log them, but it's usually a good idea for a CFI to keep good records of training given. But if you used your logbook to account for everything you do with a student that might or might not come back to bite you in the rear, you wouldn't need an extra column, you'd need an extra logbook, which is what I think you are saying.

Stuff like that exists. Electronic logs can be designed to handle it. My own solution is a kneeboard sized two-part form that lists all of the tasks. We check off the boxes, in some circumstances "grade" them, the student and I both sign it and keep a copy, and I put mine in a binder. There's some company out there that makes something similar commercially.

Now, just to throw another wrench in the works:

If I don't log landings with the students, how can I count our dual cross countries for myself if I don't have a landing at each airport? According to the regs, it's not a cross country if I don't land. (I know, except for the ATP, yadda yadda yadda.)

Yes this is getting a bit carried away, but that's always bugged me.

If you believe you have to actually perform the landings =yourself= in order to count the cross countries then you can't count them.

Of course, the cross country reg doesn't say that, does it?

(There is an item in the now-defunct Part 61 FAQ that suggests - in the safety pilot context - that a pilot does have to do the landing in order to count a cross country. Probably one of the reasons it's now defunct)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back