Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 414 or 421 - which would you buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flying_gringo

I've got a guy with a wild hair who wants to buy a cabin class pressurized twin. I want your thoughts... its been a while since I've flown anything like them, so I need feedback on what to look for.

Either one I told him is going to bleed him dry financially - and he's willing to go ahead anyhow. So financials aside - tell me about performance and bugs to look for. Which is better in your opinion, and why

The mission is mainly flying in the SW US and some mexico with his family and friends.

I appreciate your input.

fg

Whatever you do, don't buy a 421. I'm not sure what you should get. 414 414 414 414 414 414 414 414 414 414 414. The 421 is a good a/c, but the motors are a pain to work with and the 414 is a delight to own and operate compared to the 421.

GTSIO-520s on the 421 are fragile engines. You have to treat them with a lot of care or else they do expensive things.

I've never flown a 414, but they look like nice planes.

Neither, how about a nice Aerostar. Or one of those great, low-time Dukes. Say, is it normal for the mechanics to run when you taxi a Duke onto the FBO ramp?

Last edited:
How long will he by flying it for?

I'd think one could come close to justifying the aquisition cost of a PC12 or the like with the lower operating costs, higher speed, more room..... Buy a new one and most of the maint may be covered by warranty and save money also. However, you'd have to justify spending close to 2.5 mil more initially.....:confused:

414's

They are both good planes, but as to which one is better..That depends on factors like money, and how many people you plan to carry.

It will cost more to operate the 421, and they are not that much faster. They can carry more load, and lots of fuel. However I think 421 long term operating costs are pretty darn close to a 90 model King Air.

They are both stable IFR platforms, and not difficult to fly. Both need to have the engines babied, and even more so on the 421 due to its gearing.

If you are only looking at 2-4 people in the plane total at any time, I would look at a 340.

Wiggums said:
Or one of those great, low-time Dukes.

Those planes are awesome! And I see plenty on the market for right around a hundred grand. Boy, I can't imagine why people aren't buying these things in droves! :D

After flying Barons for 12 years, I bought a 421C just over 3 months ago. What I've learned to date: Expect 40 gph and 200 kts at 65% power and 17,000 feet. If you run it like that and are gentle with the engines, you should get to TBO (1600 Hrs). They are roomy, comfortable, quiet, stable, trucky (compared to the Barons), and passengers love 'em. They have more systems that require more maintenance and monitering than nearly any other piston twin. They are less expensive to buy and operate than a turbo prop.

All I know about the 414 is that they need quite a bit more runway for takeoff. The cabins are essentially the same and the 414 will be some slower, but burn less fuel.

Before buying, I'd recommend a prebuy at a shop that specializes in 400 series Cessnas. The only ones I'm aware of are Air Impressions in Waco, TX and another in Defiance, OH. There ar a lot of pitfalls for an unwary buyer. It took me over a year to find that one that I wanted.

Hi!

If he's thinking of a new aircraft, I'd go with an Adam (I think it's the A500), the piston twin. Or, if he can wait and will spend $1.6 Mill., wait for the Adam light jet, which I believe will be the 1st one on the market.

Cliff
DTW

thanks for the responses - what's the average cost of those engines on the 421? I've been hearing around $70K / side by the time your done with an overhaul. any word on that?

and don't get me wrong - I'd love a PC12, a king air, or nice entry level jet - its just I don't think the budget is there for those... and I don't want s/n0001 of anything.

fg

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back