• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Central Air Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I worked there a while back. I had a good experience there, but you have to understand that it is a job, you are the employee, and they will send you where they need you. If you can handle that then you'd do alright. I spent several weeks away from home covering other runs, that's why I bring that up. Other than that, the people are pretty easy to work with, especially MB, he's a cool guy, but you do have to look out for yourself. All the pilots when I were there were really great.

Pay when I left was low ($1500/mo), but it went up a little after I left- not sure how much. Depending on your run, you'll get at least 4-6 hours a night or so, 4-5 nights a week. When I left I was getting 100 hrs a month. The planes are old and look like it, but they take good care of them and are very rugged. I never felt "worried" to fly one. They don't have autopilots, or anything really fancy, but they do have VFR GPS. The Commander is a really fun plane to fly though, and is great on one engine. The TKS system for ice worked well, just turn it on ahead of time and don't run out of the fluid. The hardest thing to learn is how to taxi the plane. ;)

I worked there too, its not bad if you can work reliably on your own. Fly the route as required and you'll have no problems at all. GRR is a good base to get, no management breathing down your neck but enough planes to get squawks fixed. Let me know if you do choose to work there, good luck!

Flew there too. Loved it and the TKS saved my arse too many times into MDW! Have fun and get your time and get out!

I worked there for almost a year. I was getting about 6 hours a night, five nights a week.

I flew a few suspect planes, but overall they were in good shape. Get warm clothes for the winter time. More times than I want to remember, the heater quit on me.
The Commander is a great airplane to fly you feel very confident in it. Some great experience for a low time guy, mostly night, IFR, icing, weather. It was great. The TKS was good when it worked. Use it to get out of the ice not cruise around in it. I just remember a lot of long, quiet nights. Get your time and get out. Enjoy!!!

Latest resources

Back