Centerline thrust Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AvroGuy

do jets like the A-10, F_18, F15, F-117, T-38, and so on have published Vmc numbers or is the loss of a single engine a nonevent concerning yaw. If I am not mistaken that is why they are centerline thurst?

do jets like the A-10, F_18, F15, F-117, T-38, and so on have published Vmc numbers or is the loss of a single engine a nonevent concerning yaw. If I am not mistaken that is why they are centerline thurst?

F-15 did not have a Vmc (at least that anyone told me about). Yaw due to engine loss on takeoff was noticeable but not like on a wing-engine airliner. Not too many problems a PW F-100 in AB can't solve so at least you can get away from the ground and figure out what happened.

T-38 was similar as far as yaw (but it's been a while) - at the time it had a SETOS (single engine t/o speed). I think that was the speed you had to be above to raise the gear. Below it, the drag from the gear doors opening during the first step of gear retraction would be too high to overcome.

Can't help you with the other airframes. I don't even know if they are all considered centerline thrust. The A-10 seems like they're pretty far apart.

In the case of the F-117, they very cleverly convinced the FAA, using their flight manual, that it should qualify as a non-centerline thrust aircraft. Maybe this is no longer the case, but about 3 years ago, a bunch of them got the CL thrust restriction removed. Good on them!

C/L on the Hornet too, no Vmc, no single eng control problems. Don't know about the Rhino. I did see a Tomcat lose an engine and go into a flat spin...

C/L on the Hornet too, no Vmc, no single eng control problems. Don't know about the Rhino. I did see a Tomcat lose an engine and go into a flat spin...

I saw that tomcat incident, too. For those who didn't: I think the problem was that the pilot, while too close for missiles and having switched to guns, couldn't regain control of his badly crippled aircraft after having flown through his wingman's jetwash. Jetwash as we all know is probably the single most dangerous part of flying. I digress. So all of this caused first #2 to flameout, then after #1 went out it was all over. This immediately propogated a spin that went flat faster than a top gun student on a date. After some pretty adept two-handed attempts to regain control of the aircraft hope was lost and the RIO had to punch the crew out. Having saved the day, sadly the RIO was killed during the egress.

A hearing was convened and while a few parties tried to imply that the pilot was distracted by a recent volleyball trouncing at the hands of some peers, he was cleared of any wrongdoing and returned to flying status. That's all I can remember.

I saw that tomcat incident, too. For those who didn't: I think the problem was that the pilot, while too close for missiles and having switched to guns, couldn't regain control of his badly crippled aircraft after having flown through his wingman's jetwash. Jetwash as we all know is probably the single most dangerous part of flying. I digress. So all of this caused first #2 to flameout, then after #1 went out it was all over. This immediately propogated a spin that went flat faster than a top gun student on a date. After some pretty adept two-handed attempts to regain control of the aircraft hope was lost and the RIO had to punch the crew out. Having saved the day, sadly the RIO was killed during the egress.

A hearing was convened and while a few parties tried to imply that the pilot was distracted by a recent volleyball trouncing at the hands of some peers, he was cleared of any wrongdoing and returned to flying status. That's all I can remember.

:laugh: nice!!! LMAO!!

Not only is there no C/L rest. like Bean said, but unlike civil twins, if you have trouble climbing out after an engine failure, you can ring the doorbell and slick the jet (drop ALL externals) and basically lose several thousand pounds of weight and drag.

Latest resources

Back