• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cell Phones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have used Sprint for 5 years and three telephones and haven't had a problem. I have flown with other Sprint users who complained about reception, while I was using my phone at the same time (in multiple cities). Personally, I think it has to do with your settings. Mine stays in digital only. I doubt I have any more dropped calls than any other carrier. It has worked almost everywhere (in digital) in the Lower 48 and Hawaii.

Periodically, I check other carriers and I'm yet to find one cheaper than Sprint for my type of coverage.

NJA CAPT

I agree, I have Sprint and have had it for more than 4 years. The first phone I had was a Samsung. That phone sucked, and I thought it was Sprint's service. Then I got a Motorolla, and have not had any problems since then. My phone works everywhere I have been, even when I thought it wouldn't. Most of the time, it's the type of phone. I heard from a dealer that is has to do with the power of the phone, as in MegaHertz.

Re: NJA CAPT

Live4flyng said:
I heard from a dealer that is has to do with the power of the phone, as in MegaHertz.

Megahertz is the frequency the phones uses. Power output is measured in Watts. But more so the sensitivity of the Receiver and the quality of the RF section are what make a good phone. Keep in mind, a cell phone is nothing more than a complex 2 way radio operating in duplex mode (over simplified but makes a point).

Last edited:
Oversimplified for Who???????

This kinda talk makes my head hurt:confused: :D .

I hear that Sprint has great coverage in the US - used to fly with a guy that had it - but he never could make it work in Montreal....

Anybody else having that problem?

Sprint is great. I have had Sprint for over 6 years and have had only one problem and that was with the phone. My wife had a Samsung phone and it sucked. Sanyo and Motorolla phones work so much better but I don't think they sell the Motorolla phones anymore. Best Bang for the buck if you ask me.

Fly Safe

:cool:

Verizon or AT&T

My company has tried AT&T, Sprint and now Verizon in the last 3 years.

AT&T were (and still are) the most expensive, Sprint was great, WHEN it works, and also VERY expensive out of network. We changed to Verizon with Motorola (free) phones just last year.

I still carry my personal AT&T with a "One Rate" no roaming charge plan with a Nokia AND carry the Verizon phone (don't you hate that - all I need is a pager too!). Both work equally as well, though I prefer the Nokia for ease of use and quality. I'd be hard pressed to choose on quality of service between AT&T and Verizon, but the plans at Verizon are "friendlier."

I've flown with a Gulfstream guy who had Cingular. He used my AT&T phone to call his wife almost every day on the road. It's probably changed, but it's worth checking into. Roll over those minutes, right?

Alltel? Haven't heard much, sorry, can't help.

Be careful about the contract length, a year is fine, 2 years, and they better be giving you something.

Hope this helps. Call me after 9:00pm or weekends, it's free for me!

WE have Cingular as our cellular provider and are ver happy with it, we fly in the US an mexico an Canada.

Only time that we have a problem is in some of the Detroit areas, do't ask me why but my phone doesn't ring there, I will get a voicemail notification right the next second, and call out just fine, just doesn't ring there.
For the rest of the country and Canada, just fine, and hasn't given us any problems whatsoever

Latest resources

Back