Cell Phone Service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope...another vote for Vz

Although I admit the iPhone looks amazing, I cannot justify the cost anymore, especially since I'm no longer self-employed (it's amazing how your outlook changes when you return to the post-tax lifestyle for discretionary purchases).

Until recently, I was a 3000 minute/mo. Vz customer, using their phones all over Wisconsin, from dense urban areas like MSN and MKE to the hinterlands of National Forests in the northern part of the state, as well as throughout the US on travel. While Vz doesn't own the towers beyond the more urban/suburban areas, most of the other secondary providers which sold service in primarily rural Wisconsin were also CDMA and had roaming agreements with Vz (Cellcom, Alltel and one other I can't think of now). Never had a problem with service, other than an occasional dropped call, except when I was in some very remote area where I couldn't reasonably expect someone would have a tower (but even then I sometimes got a stray signal).

Come to think of it, that might be another option to consider - going with a plan from another CDMA company like Cellcom or Alltel (Alltel is bigger in the south, I think). Since they have much smaller infrastructures to support and may not spend as much on slick marketing/TV ads, etc., might they be less costly?

One other positive is if you can get the whole fam-damly as well as many of your friends on Vz you can talk to them for free and then go with a lower-cost package.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back