• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Pacific Airways Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Always surprising to me how many pilots out there don't remember some of the basic equations... for instance, top of descent.

People get used to the "chop and drop" mentality, especially at those middle-of-nowhere airports.

Kinda scary when you're going into "BFE" at mins!!!

I also have an interview with Cathay Pacific. It's for a 2nd Officer position to be based in HNK. How long will I be there before I can return to a base in the States, or elsewhere? Can I switch to the Cargo Ops later?(and keep my seniority) WHat is that timeframe like? If I were to get my ATP (was going to let my company pay for it, but we quit upgrading to Capt), would that help for a FO position on freight during the interview?

Thanks

I believe Freighter FOs have to go to the SO position eventually if they want to fly on the PAX side. So, if you want to ultimately fly PAX for Cathay, it's better to start on the SO position despite the time spent in HKG. I don't know about US bases for pax-flying pilots at Cathay. If you want to fly a 777 for Cathay, all of your flying will originate in HKG with no US flying on that fleet as far as I know...

leardrivr said:
Hey Typhoon pilot, You would be surprised how many non-u.s. pilots don't understand the basic concept of insturment flying. I mean these losers could not hand fly a steam gauge jet to 50 ft, on raw data If there life depended on it. Which it might someday Mr. glass cockpit. I wonder how many of these wonder boys would fair without a quality dispatch and operations network. I mean without all that help would they have the experience and backgroung to make safe decisions? But I gusse it dosesn't matter if you get a bad flight plan from some flight follower who just got hired at your supplemental air carrier. I mean He/She has now idea the difference between a dc-8 or a 747. Whats the big deal about planning a flight to PHNL and making Hickman airforce base the alternate? Hey as long as you understand the "BASICS CONCEPTS OF TAKEOFF AND LANDIDNG PERFORMENCE" you will be all right. I would like to open a can of good old american whoop ass on your face you arrogant Farking arshole!

Cheers!

Hey Idiot, (yes with a capital I)

I have flown for a european major carrier, and have now flown for 3 different carriers here in the USA.

I have seen a lot more worse sticks here in the USA then in Europe. And that goes for ex-military and ex-civilians...hmmm training maybe ?
It has nothing to do with books my friend, the quality of training at the european airline I was at surpassed anything I have seen here.

I have seen so many guys HERE IN THE USA, ex-Dash, F-14s or whatever airplane you want who can't calculate a descent and end up too high. I've done several PCs here, where the guy I flew with was rated PASS, and he would have failed miserably over in Europe.

'Nuff said.

Don't like it here in the US? Then leave. And don't let the door hit you on your way out.

FD

so?

regards,
nr. 2

720degpersec said:
Hey Idiot number 2,

I am American...

Then I guess you suck too.

BTW, I've flown for several carriers too here in the US and have never seen anyone that can't calculate a top of descent point. YFOS.

Ditto on the door on the way out, pal.

Last edited:
You don't ever have to be SO, in fact you WON'T be SO, if you are hired as an FO.

If hired as FO on the freight fleet, after 3 years (if there is a position on your aircraft open) you can bid over to the pax fleet as FO. Not just into HKG either.

Latest resources

Back