Cathay Pacific Airways Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

"#9"
I just got an offer to go to an interview (2d officer) in late June. I know there is a siginificant technical portion of this interview as well as a personal interview. I do not have the luxury of knowing anyone who's been through Cathay's interview process recently, but does anyone out there have any suggestions / stories about what to expect or how to prepare ?

Thank you.

Prepare, Prepare, Prepare

Go to www.pprune.com for all the info. Basically weather that affects Hong Kong area, aerodynamics, basic airmanship (AIM), your current airplane systems, 747 trivia, Hong Kong trivia. That is the tech portion for the 1st interview. HR side is straight forward. Good luck. I'll find out my result for the 1st interview tommorow.

Second officer, now that is respectable. Well Cathy Pacific is one of the best out there, just curious, if you have 6000 hours why aren't you doing the direct First officer program?

I interviewed for the DEFO position, you know what happens when one ASSumes. But the interviews are the same.

Last edited:
#9--A lot of guys have gone in for the SO interview only to be offered a FO position. Do a search on the topic here and pprune.org. There's bags full. But you'll have to get on the stick, there's a few books that you need to acquire and read to prepare and they aren't at your local library.

IMO Cathay is one of the best deals going right now. I think it's a great move. Good luck.TC

Buy " Handling the Big Jets " by D.P. Davies and " Preparing for Your Cathay Pacific Interview " by Captains X,Y, and Z. Both are available through various aviation bookstores. www.transair.co.uk is one. You might also get " Understanding Performance ". It is a pretty basic book, but one would be surprised how many U.S. pilots don't understand the basic concepts of takeoff and landing performance and terminology. There is another good book, which someone will mention, " Aceing the Technical Pilot Interview " or something to that effect.

The Cathay pilots really seem to love Davies so if you work his ideas into your answers you'll probably do very well.

Lots of guys on here have interviewed so you shold get some more good answers. All my info is hearsay.

TP

I got hired and never read "Handling the big jets". Wish I would have though, ther interview was very technical. I truly didn't think I got the job after the interview portion. Be prepared for lots of questions on your aircraft type, what you know about Cathay, and I got a TON of stytems questions. IRS, GPS, Scholer's loop, INS drift equation. I didn't know all the answers by any means, but because I was prepared for the sim, answered all the questions honoestly, even with a couple of "I don't knows", and hung around to chat with guys after the cocktail party, I think that was good enough to get in the door.
Once your here, everything is realitively easy if you listlen in class and study a couple of hours a night. Everyone is SUPER nice and professional. I have only been here a short time, but from the people I have met, both students and instructors, and the future development I see around me, this is a great place to be.

Hey Typhoon pilot, You would be surprised how many non-u.s. pilots don't understand the basic concept of insturment flying. I mean these losers could not hand fly a steam gauge jet to 50 ft, on raw data If there life depended on it. Which it might someday Mr. glass cockpit. I wonder how many of these wonder boys would fair without a quality dispatch and operations network. I mean without all that help would they have the experience and backgroung to make safe decisions? But I gusse it dosesn't matter if you get a bad flight plan from some flight follower who just got hired at your supplemental air carrier. I mean He/She has now idea the difference between a dc-8 or a 747. Whats the big deal about planning a flight to PHNL and making Hickman airforce base the alternate? Hey as long as you understand the "BASICS CONCEPTS OF TAKEOFF AND LANDIDNG PERFORMENCE" you will be all right. I would like to open a can of good old american whoop ass on your face you arrogant Farking arshole!

Cheers!
typhoonpilot said:
Buy " Handling the Big Jets " by D.P. Davies and " Preparing for Your Cathay Pacific Interview " by Captains X,Y, and Z. Both are available through various aviation bookstores. www.transair.co.uk is one. You might also get " Understanding Performance ". It is a pretty basic book, but one would be surprised how many U.S. pilots don't understand the basic concepts of takeoff and landing performance and terminology. There is another good book, which someone will mention, " Aceing the Technical Pilot Interview " or something to that effect.

The Cathay pilots really seem to love Davies so if you work his ideas into your answers you'll probably do very well.

Lots of guys on here have interviewed so you shold get some more good answers. All my info is hearsay.

TP

Hey D!ckhead Lear Schmuck,

Typhoonpilot IS an American. One who has flown plenty of "steam gauges". Obviously you have no fvcking clue, so shut the "fark" up before someone does the dance on YOUR face, you arrogant Farking arsehole.:rolleyes:

I don't care if he is American or not. He is an ignorant puke for assuming most american pilots don't understand the "BASICS" of aircraft performance. He must have come from the PFT culture. Or is surrounded by PFTers. Oh buy the way. Do you need my address? Tough guy!;)
Yank McCobb said:
Hey D!ckhead Lear Schmuck,

Typhoonpilot IS an American. One who has flown plenty of "steam gauges". Obviously you have no fvcking clue, so shut the "fark" up before someone does the dance on YOUR face, you arrogant Farking arsehole.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back