• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career Flight Instructor Yearly Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A local college here pays its full time instructors 25k a year, not bad for an instructor as the other places will net you about 9k a year busting yer a$$. Problem is there's quite a list waiting to be hired there. Definitely check out the university flight schools.

Before the airline gig I taught 4th grade and did some CFI stuff on the side. Some of my customers lived at Spruce Creek in Daytona and they would pay me 50 bucks an hour to teach in their airplane and they would pay for my checkouts as well. I would bust my buttocks all summer and make about $1000 bucks a week at Spruce Creek and I pulled in $35 an hour at my flight school as a check airman. I was fortunate to have the salary and health bennies from teaching kids to be patient and wait for some $$ before jumping on just any ol' CFI gig. Some of my buddies worked at some other FBO's/141 schools in Daytona and made about 10 bucks an hour and didn't have a whole lot of students.

As you work your way up the flight school food chain you'll make a name for yourself and make more $$.

I know a former Navy Pilot who now makes a living instructing in turbine aircraft for owner/operators; typical aircraft such as the King Air, etc. The gist of the job is something akin to what a course of instruction a Flight Safety or a Panam Academy would offer for insurance purposes. He, however, works independently and has a strong working relationship with the aircraft insurance companies.

I bet that he is earning in excess of $75k per year. Something to think about. Best of luck.

Before you quit your current job, try working pt as a free-lance instructor. Build up a base. Go to the local GA airports, put up a flyer, and talk to various flying clubs and fractional owners. I know a few free-lance instructors that get $50-75/hour in bonanza's, baron's, and other HP aircraft. The owners of these planes do not want instructors with 200 dual in 172's. They are willing to pay for your experience. The work is few and far between, but establish a good name, and others will be calling.

good luck

aviator1978 said:
Before you quit your current job, try working pt as a free-lance instructor. Build up a base. Go to the local GA airports, put up a flyer, and talk to various flying clubs and fractional owners. I know a few free-lance instructors that get $50-75/hour in bonanza's, baron's, and other HP aircraft. The owners of these planes do not want instructors with 200 dual in 172's. They are willing to pay for your experience. The work is few and far between, but establish a good name, and others will be calling.

good luck

I second that....I used to know a 50ish year old guy, ex military, flew commuters, ATP/CFII, blah blah blah, who did contract pilot services around Austin and San Antonio area back in early 90's and I think he was pulling in like 60-70K a year. He would PIC Barons and Golden Eagles every few days, and ride copilot on local King Airs and Citations. He worked via cell-phone and worked when he wanted to, declining trips when he didnt feel like flying

The local law firm who owns a P-Baron does not want 22 year old peach fuzz CFI flying it around, nor does the insurance company. They WILL pay decent bucks to get a insurable, experienced pilot on a day to day, contract basis. Same law firm may NOT have the capability to hire a full time salaried pilot....

in any business, if you provide what the customer wants, and you build a niche, you will do well

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back