Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAPS - Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (REDESIGNED)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jesus.

Well I've got a little time in the 22, but I tell you I'm not a huge fan. I'm one of the few who says this, but give me a DA40 with a G1000 over a Cirrus any day. Just my opinion. As far as I'm concerned that chute is more of a liability than a safety enhancer.

I think the whole reason behind the chute was because they couldn't demonstrate spin recovery in the required amount of turns in the design and testing phase.

I hate that people use it as a panic chute...more pilot-training and vetting is definately required. Water in the static lines, giving unreliable readings, what do he do....pulls the chute, momentary loss of awareness, what does he do...pulls the chute - fly the airplane guys.

When the chute is combined with the TKS wings for inadvertant flight into icing, its a recipe for disaster...anyone see the PIREP given by the Cirrus after encountering 'severe icing' and deploying the CAPS - idiot

IMO, they can take the chute out of the Cirrus, when the military is ready to give up the ejection seat!

In the meantime, it's a last chance safety device that's getting a bit abused these days. But overall, it's better to have one than not.

If any military or aerobatic pilots disagree, then fine! Give up your ejection seats and parachutes, and I'll agree with you! :)

NoPax said:
I think the whole reason behind the chute was because they couldn't demonstrate spin recovery in the required amount of turns in the design and testing phase.

It's not the reason. Read the story behind the Cirrus development ---sometime.

Jafar said:
Jesus.

Well I've got a little time in the 22, but I tell you I'm not a huge fan. I'm one of the few who says this, but give me a DA40 with a G1000 over a Cirrus any day. Just my opinion. As far as I'm concerned that chute is more of a liability than a safety enhancer.

I prefer the G1000 over the Avidyne, but after now flying both, I'd take the Cirrus, as it's far more comfortable. With an extra $400 thousand or so, I would probably prefer a Columbia with the new Garmin 1000 option over the Cirrus.

mtrv said:
If any military or aerobatic pilots disagree, then fine! Give up your ejection seats and parachutes, and I'll agree with you!

How about you keep your parachute and only use it when your shot out of the sky! ;) . Big difference between GA and Military flying.

The only time I can think of when I would NEED a chute would be in the event of a mid-air collision. All other times just FLY THE AIRPLANE.

mtrv said:
In the meantime, it's a last chance safety device that's getting a bit abused these days.

Training. Engine failure...training. VFR into IMC...training. Icing...training. Using a parachute because of your own stupidity is not a last chance safety device, it's a comfort device that allows stupid people to continue being stupid and making poor decisions.

eP.

Latest resources

Back