Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shadow95

Shadow95
Looking at the first year pay scales for most of the airlines, I wanted to find out could one fly more and get paid additional money? I am looking at CAL specifically to see if this is possible. Thanks for the inputs.

Looking at the first year pay scales for most of the airlines, I wanted to find out could one fly more and get paid additional money? I am looking at CAL specifically to see if this is possible. Thanks for the inputs.

If you have a line, you can fly til you drop. If you are on reserve, you can't pick up trips on days off, but you will almost certainly fly more than the guar. You won't be on RSV long in EWR, no matter the fleet you get assigned.

Now, there are two schools of thought to working extra on first year for more money. One is, you're getting paid sh*t and you need every dollar possible to make ends meet. The other is you're getting paid sh*t so why bother wasting your time/days off flying for next to nothing.

Either way, it's sh*t pay first year.

SWA probably has the best set-up for increasing first year pay. Many opportunities for first year guys to grab 2nd year pay rates.

If you have a line, you can fly til you drop. If you are on reserve, you can't pick up trips on days off, but you will almost certainly fly more than the guar. You won't be on RSV long in EWR, no matter the fleet you get assigned.

Now, there are two schools of thought to working extra on first year for more money. One is, you're getting paid sh*t and you need every dollar possible to make ends meet. The other is you're getting paid sh*t so why bother wasting your time/days off flying for next to nothing.

He's right. I really only see three reasons for more flying the first year with CAL; bigger profit sharing check next year, bigger 401k match next year, and more per diem.

Definitely subscribing to the second. I work as little possible on reserve, just make guarantee. I work part-time on the side as much as I can. I'm home more and make more money.

Definitely subscribing to the second. I work as little possible on reserve, just make guarantee. I work part-time on the side as much as I can. I'm home more and make more money.
How many lawns do you mow in a week?

SWA probably has the best set-up for increasing first year pay. Many opportunities for first year guys to grab 2nd year pay rates.

Are all the new FOs in on the secret?

Also, seems like the management would pick up on how it's done and change how it works?

I flew my @ss off this summer (not by choice thanks PBS!) and was amazed at how empty the check book got. That's what you get at 29.99/hour. Must guys agree at CAL it would have been nice to have gotten what Northwest guys got for OT although that's still only 45 bucks. Trust me don't do it if you can avoid it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back