• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can Skywest ever fly under VFR?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks again for all your insight. It sure is nice to see that questions can actually still be asked with a pissing match breaking out!

t-bone said:
Thanks again for all your insight. It sure is nice to see that questions can actually still be asked with a pissing match breaking out!

Oh yeah....Well my Ops Specs are better than your Ops Specs!!! Let the pissing match begin.

Just kidding. Just kidding. They're all pretty much the same although I've noticed some carriers actually can't cancel IFR that easily. I recall at least one case where a previous aircraft had forgotten to cancel IFR after landing at an airport after the tower was closed. The next Pt 121 aircraft ended up going back to their departure airport because they couldn't cancel even though the wx was good VFR.
Also keep in mind that a visual approach is still considered an IFR approach, just one that is conducted in VMC.

VFR to LGA

When I was instructing at ROC once I heard an Alleghany (I think), get told that their enroute release time was 5 hours or something crazy like that to LGA. They got creative and cancelled their IFR and departed VFR. They were just going to try to bust into the class B(with VFR permission of course) and get into LGA. Then on departure in ROC, they were begging for flight following from the departure controller.

My thought was that they must be on the last leg of a 4 day trip!

Latest resources

Back