Callsigns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

En Mort Main

After a brief discussion in our office about callsigns, we have noticed that often two flighst will have the same callsign. If by chance both planes became airborn without one of them being changed what FAR has been violated if any?

En Mort Main

Never heard of any FAR applying to a callsign. Just has to be seven digit max identifier.

There isnt a FAR. You try to make sure they are not in the same center at the same time though. ATC will send a nasty call to you.

Yeah I do not know about any FAR regarding that, but I do know ATC does NOT like it if they operate in the same center they may request a different call sign. If it did get by they send a very nasty letter or phone call to the office. If that situation comes up, I usually change the call sign by removing the final number and replace it with the letter A

I also had a situation where ATC wanted to change the call sign when two call signs were very similar. EX. FLT-5549 and FLT-5559

Last edited:
Frequently happens on regional flights when the partner major airline's marketing gurus assign flight numbers to different lines of flight vs. same tail out and back sequences, which really cuts down on the conflicts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back