Calling in sick to interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lowvis

I would like to know what everyone thinks about calling in sick to a 121 carrier to interview at another. The thing that might hang a person with their present company would be the PRIA with the date that you have to sign it. I might just be looking too deep into this. Any thoughts welcome...

Lowvis

Don't go to an interview sick. It cost a buddy of mine a job, for sure. I can't imagine an HR department that would have a problem with rescheduling an interview due to illness.

I should have RTFQ. Sorry, I misunderstood. I'd call in sick before I'd tell most employers that I am interviewing elsewhere. Case-by-case basis, obviously, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. First thing I'd do is to try and drop/trade or do whatever you have to do to get out of work to get to the interview. But think about this, if you ask for the day off to interview elsewhere, and they say no, then you call in sick, you are really setting yourself up for failure.
All of that being said, most HR places would gladly reschedule an interview date if you absolutely must.

Industry Standard

It is almost an industry standard, Jet Blue interviews on Wednesday, a pilot calls in sick on Tuesday night is better on Thursday. He probably interviewed at JB. Then he gets hired by JB 6 weeks later. How does that work?

Last edited:
Most companies have no problem $h!tcanning someone who calls in sick to interview. Generally you lose both jobs.

A few years ago, someone took a leave of absence from their airline to start class with another airline (NWA, I believe). Someone found out and he was fired from both companies. I wonder if both his wives divorced him... ;) TC

From what I saw, it wasn't uncommon for people to call in sick to interview at another carrier. Usually, most people tried to find someone to cover their flying but failing that, it wasn't a difficult choice for most people to make. Why pass up an opportunity to get a job you really want? You don't know when or if you'll get another chance.

AA717 makes a good point.

The thing about the pilot business is that you get hired but you are not an employee until passing the training event. So hypothetically you have a good stable job as an engineer let's say making 80-100K a year. Then you decide to go be a pilot. You get hired on and bust the training. Why not take a leave of absence from your engineer job until you are through training. I mean we are talking about making a living for your family so why would you put all that pressure on yourself?

Check Six

First try to trip trade or change your schedule. If you are not successful, go to your chief pilot and tell them about the interview and that you need to have your schedule changed. Since you are getting furloughed it would be in the company's best interest for you to have a job, since I believe that affects their unemployment compensation payments as well. If they are not accomodating, and I see no reason why they wouldn't be, then it isn't your problem any longer. Call in sick and go to the interview.

TP

Latest resources

Back