Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Linetech

So here’s the deal,

I have been at AMF for about 3 years (It will be 3 years in August) Started as a line guy, then after a year moved to Dxing. Since we are a Part 135 operator we are not required to have our DX License. I’m not a total Idiot, I did have my PPL when I was a line guy, and flying is just not a career I would like to pursue. As of lately they have implemented new rules where we are "Releasing" scheduled and non scheduled flights, like 121 operators. But there’s a twist, if the Des. Airport is more than 400NM away and not in a List of Regular traveled airports we visit, we must call a higher authority to Release the flight, I.E. ACP, CP, VP of flight, Etc. That’s all fine and dandy, Rules are rules. But they won’t offer the training to see how much we know or don’t know to help the process along.

So I am looking into dispatching schools, to help the career along wither it would be with AMF or another company. I’m not going to sit here and tell you what I know and don’t know, just looking for Recommendations about schools and locations. Now being at AMF Pay isn’t all that great and living in SO Cal, I’m trying to get an idea of cost of tuition.

My other questions are; How’s the QOL at 121 Operators? Is it still connected to aviation? What I mean by that, you guys sit in a room with say 5-8 other dispatchers at a location that could be 20-100 miles from the airport. You get to see what’s on the screen. Myself I get to look out the window and watch go arounds, landings, smell the Jet fuel, mishaps etc. you get the idea. Yea I love aviation! I’m only 23 and have a whole lot of life ahead of me. I love challenges and consider my self a problem solver.

Sorry for the long Post, had to get it out there.

You'll soon appreciate the fact that most of airline dispatch offices are not at the airport. Amflight is a good company. If I were you, I would stick around a little while and see what the FAA does about 135 dispatching. I have a feeling that more FARS are coming for you guys. You will actually be dispatching-with a license, just like 121. Just you wait and see.

Can you jumpseat at all??

http://www.flightcontrolacademy.com/

You will find the link above to the school I was sent to. Tuition costs etc. should be listed on their website. It was not a bad experience for me. I was lucky enough to win a "scholarship" offered by the company. Being in Tucson in the middle of summer was, well you figure it out..:)

I have heard from Piedmont Airlines that they send their folks to http://www.sheffield.com/ down in FL. It seems they like it.

I guess you will hear a plethera of opinions depending on what school different folks went to. Good luck!

propsarebest;1343893] I have a feeling that more FARS are coming for you guys. You will actually be dispatching-with a license, just like 121. Just you wait and see.

I have heard that for over 10 years. 121 supplemental still does not require Dispatchers, there is no way 135 will move anytime soon. Now that he is 23, I would say go get the disp. cert. so all doors are open. Most 121 dom/flag and supplemental require some 121 experience, so he has that bump to get over too.

I agree that if AMF has good pay and QOL, stick it out. But if something happens to AMF or he wants to move on in 5-10 years, starting over has a whole new meaning for someone without 121 experience.

Last edited:
You'll soon appreciate the fact that most of airline dispatch offices are not at the airport. Amflight is a good company. If I were you, I would stick around a little while and see what the FAA does about 135 dispatching. I have a feeling that more FARS are coming for you guys. You will actually be dispatching-with a license, just like 121. Just you wait and see.

Can you jumpseat at all??

Time will tell, and no we cant jumpseat at all, which sucks.

I was basically like you and had a commercial pilots license with no one willing to give me a job and I was working line service for a mere $9/hour. I finally said "screw this" and took a week long accelerated course at Airline Ground Schools in Florence, KY. I was hired by a major 135 operator the day I got my license. That being said, I hated 135 ops. I worked there for almost 2 years and it gets very dull not being able to make any real decisions regarding the flight. I recently made the jump to 121 and I like it a lot more!

Sheffield is the only choice!!!

Sheffield is the only choice!!!

I thought that too after I paid my cash and got my certificate from Eric and the gang....

After being in the industry for 5 plus years I disagree.....It doesnt matter where you go. Just get the certificate and your employer will show you what you REALLY need to know.

Sheffield does a great job, and makes sure you know what is needed to get the certificate, but beyond that, it doesnt matter, IMHO!

Latest resources

Back